Wii U Gamepad AIO?

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
phoenix42

Wii U Gamepad AIO?

Post by phoenix42 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:00 am

Is anyone creating an all in one board for the Wii U? In digging through older thread I see discussions about one being developed, but I found nothing on one being finished.

PS Is there a table comparing the various boards and kits that are available?

Thx

VeteranGamer

Re: Wii U Gamepad AIO?

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:49 am

phoenix42 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:00 am
Is anyone creating an all in one board for the Wii U? In digging through older thread I see discussions about one being developed, but I found nothing on one being finished.

PS Is there a table comparing the various boards and kits that are available?

Thx

there's no need to make a AIO for the Wii U builds.....
its actually one of the easier builds to put together, that uses very basic parts that are also easily available....

a board to connect to the original controls....
a teency
and a raspberry pi
and screen

the audio circuit is also very simple

and if most people actually did there research into this build, they would also realise that it would cost roughly about the same as a circuit sword kit (if not less)
(its a better build than a Game Boy)

not sure what the benefit of a table would be....
if your do a bit a research...
and have a basic understanding of what you want

theres no need for one

phoenix42

Post by phoenix42 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 am

Thanks for the reply VeteranGamer

Yes, research I must, but I'm not even at the crawling stage, while most people around here are Olympic sprites! But this is where I'm coming from with my basic questions.

Don't all the systems consist of basic parts like "a board to connect to the original controls, a teency, a raspberry pi and screen", but some have evolved into having complete AIO boards like Kite's or Freeplay's and have had a lot more capability added to them, while a Wii U Retropie is still in the complete do it from scratch days.

As for the table, there are little difference between the different GBZ AIO boards that may sway someone one way or the other, eg does it come stand alone or in a kit, what size & quality of screen. Sure research will turn most of these nuances up, but if you don't know to look for a difference you won't find it - remember, I'm still at that learning stage of what I want/need. When I started looking into this 2 days ago, my wants/needs and knowledge were very different, and have changed many times since them.

Take a step back, and consider other perspectives.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:42 am

phoenix42 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 am
Don't all the systems consist of basic parts like "a board to connect to the original controls, a teency, a raspberry pi and screen", but some have evolved into having complete AIO boards like Kite's or Freeplay's and have had a lot more capability added to them, while a Wii U Retropie is still in the complete do it from scratch days.
No...
not all the builds contain the same parts (especially not all have a teency, just one example....)
and the Wii U also doesn't require any 3D printed parts, everything is just drop in (well kind of)

the Wii U has exactly the same functionality and features as any of the other builds....
if not more and maybe better... especially the bigger screen, true stereo sound... better controls
(all for about the same cost, and in some cases less)

phoenix42 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 am
Take a step back, and consider other perspectives.

you really need to do your research (this forum has a lot of info, if not all... just call it others perspectives instead of info)
(know what you want, or go based on what your budget is).....

if you want everything handed to you, then expect to fail at the first hurdle....
there's no need for a table
one reason would be that some of these AIO are either obsolete or only available via sporadic pre-orders
so instead of helping, they will end up confusing, especially those that cant be bothered to do a little research...

first understand...
what the Raspberry Pi are capable of ....
then see what Retro Pie is all about (especially how it runs and performs on the different RPi)
(and what systems/emulators it can actually run without issues on these different RPi)

then based on your budget...
decide what build/route you'd like to do/take...
and then start deciding what you want in a build (parts),
and also consider what you expect to gain out of that (functionality)...

All the info is already present in this forum (as well as on other sites)...
a lot of detailed build posts have been done by members
a lot people have posted their issues with certain parts (and builds/AIO), which others have helped to resolve....
the are also post with Do's and Don't on certain parts and build experiences.

but based on what you've already stated.....

just go for Kites CSO or CSO lite....
its perfect for someone that wants to dip there toe into these kinds of projects....
but either doesn't have the experience....
or doesn't want to build from scratch (maybe too much for them)

Good luck