Waveshare Game HAT - replace buttons and joystick

Got an idea for a project? Found a cool project you want to share? Post it here!
pvanderpoel

Re: Waveshare Game HAT - replace buttons and joystick

Post by pvanderpoel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:37 am

Thank you HoolyHoo. Unfortunately the buttons on Amazon can't be shipped to the Netlands so I have to look at aliexpress to find them.

Please forgive me my possibly stupid question. But will these 12 mm caps fit on the 8 mm soft tactile buttons from adafruit? Looking at the caps in the amzon link it looks like the caps need to be attached on a switch with a square button, but the 8 mm tactile switches from adafruit have a round button.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:59 am

pvanderpoel wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:37 am
Thank you HoolyHoo. Unfortunately the buttons on Amazon can't be shipped to the Netlands so I have to look at aliexpress to find them.

Please forgive me my possibly stupid question. But will these 12 mm caps fit on the 8 mm soft tactile buttons from adafruit? Looking at the caps in the amzon link it looks like the caps need to be attached on a switch with a square button, but the 8 mm tactile switches from adafruit have a round button.
You would need to trim the square peg on the12mm caps flush and use the 3D insert file provided with my case files.

pvanderpoel

Post by pvanderpoel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:11 am

Okay almost clear now. Looking at the stl files I have a 12mmInsert.stl and a SwitchCap.stl. Do I need them both? And do I need to print them for each button? Once again, forgive me my stupid questions.
Once I replaced the 12mm switches for the 8mm onex from adafruit I put the insert on top of the switch and then the cap on the insert?

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:26 am

pvanderpoel wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:11 am
Okay almost clear now. Looking at the stl files I have a 12mmInsert.stl and a SwitchCap.stl. Do I need them both? And do I need to print them for each button? Once again, forgive me my stupid questions.
Once I replaced the 12mm switches for the 8mm onex from adafruit I put the insert on top of the switch and then the cap on the insert?
Yes, print a 12mm insert for each cap. The switch cap stl goes on the slide switch.

pvanderpoel

Post by pvanderpoel » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:43 am

Okay Thanks. All clear now.

pvanderpoel

Post by pvanderpoel » Mon May 04, 2020 10:29 am

I succesfully managed to print HoolyHoo's cover and it looks awsome.
However I do have two questions left.

1) Is there a way to use screws to attach the back to the front? I like the screwless design, however the parts seperate a little to easy.
2) The joystick movement is restricted now. I love the fact that I don't have to move the stick that far anymore, however now the stick doesn't react very well. How can I make the joystick work with tighter movements than before? Is there a way to lower the maximum value so it's already at maximum when I move the stick halway to the left or right? I hope you understand what I mean.