Retro Lite CM4: Raspberry Pi CM4 in a Switch Lite

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
StonedEdge

Retro Lite CM4: Raspberry Pi CM4 in a Switch Lite

Post by StonedEdge » Mon May 03, 2021 7:27 pm

Hi guys,

Perhaps a few of you have seen this floating around the web, but I'm currently working on a cool retro gaming console project dubbed "The Retro Lite CM4" which is essentially a CM4 inside of a switch lite shell that is custom machined - I thought some people may like to see it if they haven't already. It'll have a bunch of cool features, including proper USB-C PD charging, internal USB hub, HDMI out and other cool features that I'll post below. It's still a work in progress and currently we only plan on making 2 of them, but that may change if we get the design to a point that it could be produced on a larger scale to sell to the public, although we don't really have any plans for that at the moment.

Both of us aren't engineers or don't do this full time, we are just passionate gamers who enjoy electronics/CAD/PCB design.

Retro Lite CM4 Specs
5 - 5.5" LCD IPS screen (parallel interface)
Dual Switch Joysticks
Stereo speakers
Resin Cast buttons and dpad
Anodized aluminum housing
Custom Copper Heatsink and fan
Raspberry Pi CM4
AIO PCB including arduino (for control input), battery management, Back light boost converter and audio amplifier
USB C Charging and data transfer
External HDMI output
4000mah battery

Here's a couple of pictures of it in its current state. If you've got any questions, feel free to let me know and I'd be happy to answer!

Spyder

Re: Retro Lite CM4: Raspberry Pi CM4 in a Switch Lite

Post by Spyder » Tue May 04, 2021 10:06 am

Man that is so sweet. It looks gorgeous
Are you adding a safe shutdown? Any plans to release files for people to build their own?

StonedEdge

Post by StonedEdge » Tue May 04, 2021 7:57 pm

Spyder wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:06 am
Man that is so sweet. It looks gorgeous
Are you adding a safe shutdown? Any plans to release files for people to build their own?
Hi - thanks, glad you like it!

Yes, there will be a safe shut down. It's pretty easy to do on the Pi. At first we we're going to drive a GPIO high but realized that the CM4 can only handle 3.3v +0.5 on it's GPIO, so we will most likely just use an internal pull-up and drive it low with our microcontroller to initiate safe shutdown. The portable will be turned on by holding a button for 1.5 seconds and safe shutdown will initiate on holding the button for longer than 3.5 seconds when the system is powered on. It will then take around 15 seconds to shutdown (i.e cutting power from the boost regulator).

There is no current plans to release CAD files or models as the case really doesn't work for 3D printing - the tolerances required for the triggers are very unforgiving and the case is designed in Solidworks with machining in mind, so I think a lot of hobbyists will be limited even if we released files. That being said, we are considering "kickstartering" the project to raise funds for a proper injection mold if things work out and we get enough interest, so it may be sold as a kit in the next few months.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 am

Did you machine it yourself? It looks immaculate.

StonedEdge

Post by StonedEdge » Tue May 11, 2021 12:46 am

Sushi wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:09 am
Did you machine it yourself? It looks immaculate.
It's been a joint effort between myself and another friend of mine who owns a 3-axis CNC machine. I've been working on the PCB designs and he has done the case, so I didn't machine anything or do any anodizing. All the credit goes to him for the case work! :D

Max3D

Post by Max3D » Wed May 12, 2021 3:46 am

This is amazing, did you source the AIO PCB or is it custom?

StonedEdge

Post by StonedEdge » Wed May 12, 2021 11:14 pm

Max3D wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 3:46 am
This is amazing, did you source the AIO PCB or is it custom?
It's all custom designed in EAGLE.

Kevinli

Post by Kevinli » Mon May 31, 2021 7:50 pm

Has this project been completed? I'm looking forward to the actual results.

StonedEdge

Post by StonedEdge » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 pm

Kevinli wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 7:50 pm
Has this project been completed? I'm looking forward to the actual results.
Not yet. I'll be sure to post the final results when it's done! I made a few mistakes with the PCB that need to be revised. That and the fact that CM4s are not readily available due to the silicon shortage has extended the project.