WII U RASPBERRY PI 4 + Laserprojector

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
mashm

WII U RASPBERRY PI 4 + Laserprojector

Post by mashm » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:14 am

Hi,

inspired by the build of @banjokazooie i build my own retropie console based on a Wii U Gamepad case. I was able to source a faulty Zelda unit from ebay. not in best condition, but acceptable.
Most details can be found at banjokazooie thread. only minor changes at my mod. i use a 6.2" display from aliexpress. this fits nearly perfect with the original frame. i use 3 x 2800mAh lipo battery on the back of the display, helders retropsu and the powerboard made at osh park.

sourcing the parts took quie a while. today i would chosse a better display. maybe a 2k display. the contrast will be much better. also viewing anlge. and the most important part: they are much thinner! the inner look very ugly, i made better mods at past. but this one is "grown" and everthing fits inside.

i had a Ultimems HD301-A2 laying arround from a other project. Goal was to include it in this mod. the space was just enough. bigger problem was switching between the internal display and the beamer. but you can setup a different resolution for each port at the config.txt:

Code: Select all

#Internal Display on HDMI Port 0
[HDMI:0]
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt  800  480  60  6  0  0  0 

# MEMS-Beamer on HDMI Port 1
[HDMI:1]
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=85
I only add a mechanical switch on the right side which switch the power between the internal display and the beamer. during power up the used hdmi port will be automaticaly detected and the right resolution is used. easy solution and running well.
the ultimems beamer is not razor sharp, but good enough for playing retro games. it have one unique advantage: you never have to refocus the screen. it is always sharp, no matter what distance you are using. this is a true laser beamer. the light beam of three laser diodes are projected to a mems device (very similar to a dlp devices but 2d and not 1d capable). more to read here:
http://www.ultimems.com/en/index.html#aboutus

Some hints:
- when using helder retropsu internal charge unit, the pi will be powered while charging. not very good, but with an external charging board no problem
- minty battery monitor or helders onefor all software is not running out of the box solution can found here:
viewtopic.php?t=9693
- i use the internal audio from the pi 4. i´m quite happy with this, but i also have to use a small amp

one question to all: i use the teensy as keyboard/joystick. this one is mapped to the first player. is it possible that a map my sn30 pro also to the first player so i can use both parallel?
as i know at the moment i can re-configure the input for player one at the retroarch input configuration menu. but i can only switch between teensy and sn30, but not for use both at the same time for player1 !

Finnished inside:

And now with the ultimems laser beamer in action. Picture size is about 40 inches. room was darken a little bit:

mashm

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 4 + Laserprojector

Post by mashm » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:30 am

Some daylight pictures:

mashm

Post by mashm » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:21 am

Runtime Test just finished: 5:40 before automatic shutdown

mashm

Post by mashm » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:36 am

i just sourced a neat display:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10050028 ... 3e5fbF37B0

6.3" ips 2k screen. i will give them a try. will fit nearly perfect into the Wii U Gamepad shell.

djsedaw

Post by djsedaw » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:58 am

Hi really interested in the 6.3 (there is a 6.0 screen also) screen, will it work with the raspberry pi and do you think there will be any problems putting it into landscape mode?

mashm

Post by mashm » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:01 am

the display is on the way to me. we will see how it works. i thinks it is possible to rotate to landscape mode, but i will loose the 3d harware accerlation on pi4. see here:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=224229

and here:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=266364

djsedaw

Post by djsedaw » Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:02 am

Yeah the 6 inch one is on its way to me, hope we can fix the problem with the 3d hardware acceleration as its very slow without it, there is a lot of info on various sites, will copy it and try when it arrives

djsedaw

Post by djsedaw » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:03 am

My display has arrived, cannot believe how light and fragile it is, hopefully I can get some testing done, has your screen arrived yet?

djsedaw

Post by djsedaw » Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:39 am

mashm wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:01 am
the display is on the way to me. we will see how it works. i thinks it is possible to rotate to landscape mode, but i will loose the 3d harware accerlation on pi4. see here:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=224229

and here:

https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=266364
hi did you get the screen working?