WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
kcarsey

Re: WII U RASPBERRY PI 3 FINISHED

Post by kcarsey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:22 am

Thank you all for this valuable information. I am going to be doing a project like this, and I have concerns about cell balancing with multiple cells in parallel. Does anyone know of a charger that can balance multiple cells while charging and discharging? I would like to be able to use two li-po cells together in parallel in order to achieve the best run time and easiest packaging, but I have concerns about the cells becoming unbalanced over time with multiple charge and discharge cycles.

Thanks!

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:51 am

kcarsey wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:22 am
Thank you all for this valuable information. I am going to be doing a project like this, and I have concerns about cell balancing with multiple cells in parallel. Does anyone know of a charger that can balance multiple cells while charging and discharging? I would like to be able to use two li-po cells together in parallel in order to achieve the best run time and easiest packaging, but I have concerns about the cells becoming unbalanced over time with multiple charge and discharge cycles.

Thanks!
If you going to use cells in parallel there is no need for balancing as they will balance each other.

luciano2000

Post by luciano2000 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 am

Great work !!!

Did you removed the Raspberry Pi "RJ45" and original USB Ports?

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:12 pm

luciano2000 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:09 am
Great work !!!

Did you removed the Raspberry Pi "RJ45" and original USB Ports?
Yes stripped down completely

doomydoomer

Post by doomydoomer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm working on a custom handheld and I'd like to have two cells mounted at the base of my case in parallel. I keep reading conflicting things online about doing this. Adafruit seems very adamant that this is a bad idea and I'll burn my house down if I use two separate cells wired up in parallel. Other places online I've read it's fine and a normal practice as long as the cells are from the same batch and of good quality. My plan was to buy two Samsung 18650 25Rs, or like cells, and wire them up in parallel for higher capacity and horizontally mount them for better fitment. Obviously all the other items you've diagrammed here in past months would also be involved (charging circuit, protection circuit, PowerBoost Basic, etc). It sounds like this is exactly how you wired up the first version of this project - two separate cells in parallel. This is the correct method, right? I'm asking this here because your project power setup is similar to what I'll need in mine. I have past experience with Lithium-Ion/Pol batteries with multiple cells but I've never wire up separate cells in parallel.

My project:

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:50 am

doomydoomer wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:50 pm
I'm working on a custom handheld and I'd like to have two cells mounted at the base of my case in parallel. I keep reading conflicting things online about doing this. Adafruit seems very adamant that this is a bad idea and I'll burn my house down if I use two separate cells wired up in parallel. Other places online I've read it's fine and a normal practice as long as the cells are from the same batch and of good quality. My plan was to buy two Samsung 18650 25Rs, or like cells, and wire them up in parallel for higher capacity and horizontally mount them for better fitment. Obviously all the other items you've diagrammed here in past months would also be involved (charging circuit, protection circuit, PowerBoost Basic, etc). It sounds like this is exactly how you wired up the first version of this project - two separate cells in parallel. This is the correct method, right? I'm asking this here because your project power setup is similar to what I'll need in mine. I have past experience with Lithium-Ion/Pol batteries with multiple cells but I've never wire up separate cells in parallel.

My project:
If you cannot match the cell as in from factory there is always a risk to run this in parallel but I have used 2x panasonic for a long time and have not observed any over dischaging or any other symptoms which might lead to exploding batteries. Of course batteries in series are the proper way in home environment but it involving a complex charging circuit.

doomydoomer

Post by doomydoomer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:49 am

Understood, thanks for clarifying.

phdirnou

Post by phdirnou » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:31 am

@CJnyc3 or banjokazooie

I 've ordered the Wii u PCB board to. Thank you very much for the board. It makes the work much more easier.

I have a question:
In witch way do I have to solder the SMD LEDs on the PCB? I mean where is the anode and the cathode on the board?

Thanks a lot

Sorry for my bad english

reke

Post by reke » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:44 am

phdirnou wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:31 am
@CJnyc3 or banjokazooie

I 've ordered the Wii u PCB board to. Thank you very much for the board. It makes the work much more easier.

I have a question:
In witch way do I have to solder the SMD LEDs on the PCB? I mean where is the anode and the cathode on the board?

Thanks a lot

Sorry for my bad english

maybe you can try to look at the picture of banjoo board, its the same

look your leds color negative, and solder like this

im on the way to solder that smd´s, my board arrives the last week, when i finish i post again, sorry for my bad english, my language is spanish

luciano2000

Post by luciano2000 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:44 am

Can I use the original gamepad batteries?