Wermy's Lamp Zapper

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
Mad_Duke

Wermy's Lamp Zapper

Post by Mad_Duke » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:26 am

Hei :)

This project sounds cool I was thinking of doing this stuff quite soon for my stand up arcade project with 3D printing something like: https://www.etsy.com/listing/264447574/ ... gallery_24

I'm more interested in the software side of the story. I'd like mine to work on both Windows and Linux. :)
Last edited by Mad_Duke on Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KaiKona808

Re: Wermy's Lamp Zapper

Post by KaiKona808 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:36 am

This would be perfect. My kids want to turn the play room into a retro gaming room. They have a console collection going and want to decorate the room and set up gaming stations. This would be an awesome way to let them turn lights on and off.

@Wermy you gotta make a tutorial video. :D :D :D

Chedda

Post by Chedda » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:37 am

I like that he left it open ended without the tutorial so you can figure out how to electronics.
Builder and tinkerer

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:08 pm

I'll do a quick guide for it. I honestly wasn't sure what the interest-level would be so I didn't want to spend time on it without knowing. Looks like lots of folks want to make one though. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:59 pm

wermy wrote:I'll do a quick guide for it. I honestly wasn't sure what the interest-level would be so I didn't want to spend time on it without knowing. Looks like lots of folks want to make one though. :)
Does it have to be lamps though? Can it be anything with a plug? Air conditioner, router/modem, whole power strips? Would be a slick time save when leaving for vacation to just zap all the power strips in my apartment and leave.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Ganreizu wrote:
wermy wrote:I'll do a quick guide for it. I honestly wasn't sure what the interest-level would be so I didn't want to spend time on it without knowing. Looks like lots of folks want to make one though. :)
Does it have to be lamps though? Can it be anything with a plug? Air conditioner, router/modem, whole power strips? Would be a slick time save when leaving for vacation to just zap all the power strips in my apartment and leave.
It's really only limited by how beefy of a relay you put in there. These are the ones I used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO7IY76

They are good for 10A at 125VAC, which is quite a bit to work with. :)
ImageImageImageImage