120Hz LED Turntable Strobe in Altoids Tin

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
hencethus

120Hz LED Turntable Strobe in Altoids Tin

Post by hencethus » Wed May 25, 2016 3:28 pm

I did this project about a year ago, but I thought I'd share it here.

The strobe on my turntable stopped working, so I made a battery-powered LED one to replace it. There's a pretty good write-up on how they work by a guy on eBay that sells them for like 80 bucks here: http://goo.gl/voLMe4. This one only cost a few bucks including the Altoids and the 9V battery.

I found a schematic here: http://www.vinylengine.com/diy-strobe.shtml
Then ordered the parts, got it working on a breadboard, and designed a stripboard layout with VeeCAD.
ImageImageImage

I didn't get many action shots, but here are some shots of the assembly process.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

And finally, trying it out on my turntable. It works!
ImageImage

Kilren

Re: 120Hz LED Turntable Strobe in Altoids Tin

Post by Kilren » Wed May 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Pretty cool! Have a video showing it working? How much control over the LED's do you have? Can you change colors on command, have it set to moods, etc.?

hencethus

Post by hencethus » Thu May 26, 2016 3:02 pm

@Kilren
It's it tool for adjusting the speed of the turntable, so there isn't any control over colors or anything like that. There's just a momentary contact on/off switch. When I hold it down the LEDs strobe at 120 Hz. There are 216 dots around the perimeter of the turntable platter that seem to freeze in place as they're lit by the strobe if the platter is spinning at 33 1/3 rpm. If it's too slow or too fast the dots seem to drift off slowly to the left or the right.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:28 pm

hencethus wrote:@Kilren
It's it tool for adjusting the speed of the turntable, so there isn't any control over colors or anything like that. There's just a momentary contact on/off switch. When I hold it down the LEDs strobe at 120 Hz. There are 216 dots around the perimeter of the turntable platter that seem to freeze in place as they're lit by the strobe if the platter is spinning at 33 1/3 rpm. If it's too slow or too fast the dots seem to drift off slowly to the left or the right.
This definitely needs a video. :P