WII U Intel m5 Console

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
banjokazooie

Re: WII U Intel m5 Console

Post by banjokazooie » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am

ShaolinSolidus wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 pm
banjokazooie wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 pm
ShaolinSolidus wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm
Hello banjokazooie,

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

The controller interface you used, is it a dinput or xinput? I've found zlittell's Teensy LC code for emulating xinput ( now with analog function!), is this similar to what you've used? I only ask because I plan on building this and wish to use xinput for the simplicity of use with Steam.

https://github.com/zlittell/MSF-XINPUT

Second is USB C. I have failed to find any DIY QC charging as I would like to use USB C/3.2, considering the power capabilities of up to 20v 5A, or 100w, it would be nice to capitalize on that. But that is besides my point. I am curious about how, or if, you utilized the usb C? is it purely for power or did you implement a hub? If you did implement a hub that is also good news, that would mean the possibility of usb C to HDMI of some sort switch style dock.

Lastly, what was your reasoning for going with the compute M5 over the M3? I did some looking and an M3 without an OS is 250$ (Canada) cheaper than the M5, and the only difference I could find was about a 2-300 Mhz clock difference, passive cooling vs fan, and the Vpro technology which is just cooperate hardware security. They employ the same GPU, same memory (clk, amount, etc), internal EMMC, and potential expandable memory.

Sorry for the long winded post :)
The joystick is standard windows direct input device just like described here https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_joystick.html
USB C is used mainly to internally power the stick and to passing usb signal to usb hub.
The difference between these two stick is noticable 2.2 vs 2.8 GHz but the whole project was done to fit the customer needs.
So I am still in the process of building this magnificent little unit, and I have a few more questions.

With the voltage monitor is the arduino referencing it's own voltage? if so how is that useful since the regulator keeps a constant voltage regardless of battery voltage, would you mind enlightening me as to how you are monitoring the battery voltage? I went with series 3.7V batteries for a 7.4v system with a step down circuit.

I seemed to have recieved multiple bad TP5100 2A battery charger module's as well. 10 of them (gotta love bulk china orders) all do the same thing, they work as a buck converter, but the boost circuit is gone. the spec sheet claims that it has a 5v input but will only output 8.4v if the voltage is 8V or greater. The one's i ordered look identical to the ones you had pictured, did you happen to have this problem as well? I have already ordered 2s balance chargers with usb input so this doesn't really matter, just curious if you came across the same problem.

I ordered a similar Topfoison 2560*1440 1440p 2k ips lcd panel with a slightly different board. did you happen to notice that the board has audio out points? may I ask the reason you didn't utilize these? unless yours did not have these pin-outs. It also has a built in accelerometer, I may try to implement that as well :D

In you code you make refrence to
//COMPUTESTICK LED
int OFF = 39;
int val = 0;
is this connected to pin 39? also how is this wired, from the compute stick to the arduino? what are you achiving? is it the status led of the compute stick itself? soooo many questions!!!

Haha sorry for the multitude of questions, I just love this project and wish for it to be as perfect as it can be :D :D :D
Teensy is just reading battery voltage through resistor divider and send this info to serial port monitored by the win app.
TP5100 has no step up functionality, you need to use 12V adapter to charge 2s lipo with this circuit. Battery balancing s done by BMS.
There is too much noise on the audio line from this lcd board. USB card is better and you still need to filter the power line to amp for clear sound.
Teensy is reading analog voltage of the led on compute stick to signal the power state.

skilarbabcock

Post by skilarbabcock » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:09 am

Hello, I'm thinking about doing this. I had a few questions

1) is there by chance a guide for this? Because I'm not really experienced with this stuff. It'd be my first project.

2)How well does it run dolphin?

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:20 am

If this is your first project i would not advise you to go for this project. It needs a lot of knowledge.

Try to go for something easier and more documented as a first try because otherwise you are going to break your teeth on that one and maybe abandon :?
Follow me on instagram Image

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 am

skilarbabcock wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:09 am

1) is there by chance a guide for this? Because I'm not really experienced with this stuff. It'd be my first project.

There will not be a guide as it was a one of build on request and quite expensive :shock: . If you just starting with building don't even try to attempt a project like this.
A GameBoy zero build will be more suitable for a stater. :) as there is massive support and a lot of guides.

I have not tried dolphin on it but it is quite powerful machine for light PC gaming and Wii u emu so it should handle old Wii quite well. Here is a video of the old atom compute stick running dolphin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dw-Jj9Daxk

skilarbabcock

Post by skilarbabcock » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:20 am

Well, I was hoping to make a portable solution that could play Dolphin in at least 720p.

Also, have you thought about trying to do this with the Nvidia Shield TV? The new one from 2017 is rather small, and also rather powerful for games.

skilarbabcock

Post by skilarbabcock » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 am

banjokazooie wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 am
skilarbabcock wrote:

There will not be a guide as it was a one of build on request and quite expensive :shock: . If you just starting with building don't even try to attempt a project like this.
A GameBoy zero build will be more suitable for a stater. :) as there is massive support and a lot of guides.

I have not tried dolphin on it but it is quite powerful machine for light PC gaming and Wii u emu so it should handle old Wii quite well. Here is a video of the old atom compute stick running dolphin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dw-Jj9Daxk
Have you tried the newer, smaller, Nvidia shield TV for something like this?

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:18 am

skilarbabcock wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:39 am
banjokazooie wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:48 am
skilarbabcock wrote:

Have you tried the newer, smaller, Nvidia shield TV for something like this?
I have not tried anything on the shield, android emulators are still buggy compared to pc counterpart.

AntFJ

Post by AntFJ » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:29 am

banjokazooie wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am

There is too much noise on the audio line from this lcd board. USB card is better and you still need to filter the power line to amp for clear sound.
Teensy is reading analog voltage of the led on compute stick to signal the power state.
I have a Wii U Ras Pi 3 and I get horrible sound from USB audio - lots of static/whine.

When you say filter the power line to the amp are you talking the +5V? or a high/low pass filter for the +audio line? If the former... can you elaborate?

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:08 pm

AntFJ wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:29 am
banjokazooie wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:54 am

I have a Wii U Ras Pi 3 and I get horrible sound from USB audio - lots of static/whine.

When you say filter the power line to the amp are you talking the +5V? or a high/low pass filter for the +audio line? If the former... can you elaborate?
A basic double coil on the power line to audio amp will filter all the noise.

AntFJ

Post by AntFJ » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:23 pm

Thank you - I've been struggling with this for a while! I'll try it out tonight