WII U Intel m5 Console

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
n0d

Re: WII U Intel m5 Console

Post by n0d » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:49 pm

Hi banjokazooie,

Same question about the digitizer. I think you said you used the original digitizer, but then how did you interface it? Throught the teensy?

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 pm

n0d wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:49 pm
Hi banjokazooie,

Same question about the digitizer. I think you said you used the original digitizer, but then how did you interface it? Throught the teensy?
Controllers for touch screens
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adafruit-Resi ... 2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Wire-Resis ... SwLmVXDcc7

ShaolinSolidus

Post by ShaolinSolidus » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm

Hello banjokazooie,

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind.

The controller interface you used, is it a dinput or xinput? I've found zlittell's Teensy LC code for emulating xinput ( now with analog function!), is this similar to what you've used? I only ask because I plan on building this and wish to use xinput for the simplicity of use with Steam.

https://github.com/zlittell/MSF-XINPUT

Second is USB C. I have failed to find any DIY QC charging as I would like to use USB C/3.2, considering the power capabilities of up to 20v 5A, or 100w, it would be nice to capitalize on that. But that is besides my point. I am curious about how, or if, you utilized the usb C? is it purely for power or did you implement a hub? If you did implement a hub that is also good news, that would mean the possibility of usb C to HDMI of some sort switch style dock.

Lastly, what was your reasoning for going with the compute M5 over the M3? I did some looking and an M3 without an OS is 250$ (Canada) cheaper than the M5, and the only difference I could find was about a 2-300 Mhz clock difference, passive cooling vs fan, and the Vpro technology which is just cooperate hardware security. They employ the same GPU, same memory (clk, amount, etc), internal EMMC, and potential expandable memory.

Sorry for the long winded post :)

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 pm

ShaolinSolidus wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm
Hello banjokazooie,

The controller interface you used, is it a dinput or xinput? I've found zlittell's Teensy LC code for emulating xinput ( now with analog function!), is this similar to what you've used? I only ask because I plan on building this and wish to use xinput for the simplicity of use with Steam.

Second is USB C. I have failed to find any DIY QC charging as I would like to use USB C/3.2, considering the power capabilities of up to 20v 5A, or 100w, it would be nice to capitalize on that. But that is besides my point. I am curious about how, or if, you utilized the usb C? is it purely for power or did you implement a hub? If you did implement a hub that is also good news, that would mean the possibility of usb C to HDMI of some sort switch style dock.

Lastly, what was your reasoning for going with the compute M5 over the M3? I did some looking and an M3 without an OS is 250$ (Canada) cheaper than the M5, and the only difference I could find was about a 2-300 Mhz clock difference, passive cooling vs fan, and the Vpro technology which is just cooperate hardware security. They employ the same GPU, same memory (clk, amount, etc), internal EMMC, and potential expandable memory.

The joystick is standard windows direct input device just like described here https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_joystick.html
USB C is used mainly to internally power the stick and to passing usb signal to usb hub.
The difference between these two stick is noticable 2.2 vs 2.8 GHz but the whole project was done to fit the customer needs.

n0d

Post by n0d » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:27 am

Banjokazooie, thanks for providing detailed, accurate, uncensored answers to every questions!

esoj1

Post by esoj1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:45 am

Hi, can you emule Dreamcast?

Your projects are awesome.

AntFJ

Post by AntFJ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:11 pm

what is that perforated material you used to make the case breathable?

AntFJ

Post by AntFJ » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:12 pm

what is the perforated material you used to make the case breathable?

banjokazooie

Post by banjokazooie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:29 pm

AntFJ wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:12 pm
what is the perforated material you used to make the case breathable?
It is a mesh used in computer case to cover fans.

ShaolinSolidus

Post by ShaolinSolidus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:04 pm

banjokazooie wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:53 pm
ShaolinSolidus wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:05 pm
Hello banjokazooie,

The joystick is standard windows direct input device just like described here https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_joystick.html
USB C is used mainly to internally power the stick and to passing usb signal to usb hub.
The difference between these two stick is noticable 2.2 vs 2.8 GHz but the whole project was done to fit the customer needs.
So I am still in the process of building this magnificent little unit, and I have a few more questions.

With the voltage monitor is the arduino referencing it's own voltage? if so how is that useful since the regulator keeps a constant voltage regardless of battery voltage, would you mind enlightening me as to how you are monitoring the battery voltage? I went with series 3.7V batteries for a 7.4v system with a step down circuit.

I seemed to have recieved multiple bad TP5100 2A battery charger module's as well. 10 of them (gotta love bulk china orders) all do the same thing, they work as a buck converter, but the boost circuit is gone. the spec sheet claims that it has a 5v input but will only output 8.4v if the voltage is 8V or greater. The one's i ordered look identical to the ones you had pictured, did you happen to have this problem as well? I have already ordered 2s balance chargers with usb input so this doesn't really matter, just curious if you came across the same problem.

I ordered a similar Topfoison 2560*1440 1440p 2k ips lcd panel with a slightly different board. did you happen to notice that the board has audio out points? may I ask the reason you didn't utilize these? unless yours did not have these pin-outs. It also has a built in accelerometer, I may try to implement that as well :D

In you code you make refrence to
//COMPUTESTICK LED
int OFF = 39;
int val = 0;
is this connected to pin 39? also how is this wired, from the compute stick to the arduino? what are you achiving? is it the status led of the compute stick itself? soooo many questions!!!

Haha sorry for the multitude of questions, I just love this project and wish for it to be as perfect as it can be :D :D :D