Custom Orange-Pi Portable

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
RetroRocket

Re: Custom Orange-Pi Portable

Post by RetroRocket » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:07 pm

Hey all, I apologise for my extended absence. My masters work was heading into the final stretch so I had to pull back from...well..everything to concentrate on it. I've since come out the other side with my degree and a shiny new job to go along with it (to fuel my portables addicti...hobby).

In addition to compiling the perfect list of components, I've dabbled a bit in the design. Modest changes since last time include removing the fan bulge, adding some finger grooves and mounting bosses for the fan, Pi, and PCBs for the shoulder buttons. The Select and Start buttons have been increased after seeing just how small the original ones were, so I'm going to make them similar to ABXY for now. I've also flattened the top for aesthetics, though I'm not sold on it.

Current Revision
SpoilerShow
untitled.26.JPG
untitled.26.JPG (889.33 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
Back Shell
SpoilerShow
RetroBro-Back-Rev18.JPG
RetroBro-Back-Rev18.JPG (757.22 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
I've also toyed with the idea of removing the bezels for ABXY and the D Pad, which would allow me to use larger DMG/SNES buttons. I originally planned on making the interfaces fully interchangeable, hence the four equal bezels, but we'll see how they look. If I go ahead with this direction, I'll be adding a recess under those buttons/D-Pad the same size as the bezels.

Concept
SpoilerShow
RetroBro-Preview.JPG
RetroBro-Preview.JPG (992.61 KiB) Viewed 5349 times
As always, I appreciate the feedback, and I'm eager to get this thing finally put together!

TheKayneGame

Post by TheKayneGame » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 am

Hi,

I'm currently in the process of making my own orange pi based handheld and looking for info on this forum i sumbled on this thread.
I would really like to see the progress of this system or if you already finished it, the end result.

correia5022

Post by correia5022 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:56 pm

Any upgrades?
Your concept and idea is great, love the design.
I have one of these boards and have quite a good power, play games as or better than pi3
Check out my Boombox: https://nrcboombox.wixsite.com/website

Fernando

Post by Fernando » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:27 pm

hi, I created an account just to ask this project:
I bought this screen and couldn't make it work at 5V, how did you do it?
great project