SwanBerry Pi

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
goosewerks

Re: SwanBerry Pi

Post by goosewerks » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:46 pm

moosepr wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:27 am
there is always the TP4056 boards. can do charge and protect all in a tiny board.
I've peeked at those as well. I looked through a TON of threads on here as well. I just got the screen in today, so I'll worry about the battery next.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
It was 5v ready without any modding, so I'll count that as a win. The WS PCB fits with the screen glued in place, but the driver board for the screen will have to go BEHIND the WS board to fit, as I don't want to hack apart the WS board--yet. I can carve out the case and get a cartridge and glue it in place. The Pi will fit anywhere, and the USB DAC is basically a flat PCB already. I don't think I'll need an amp to power the weird solid metal speaker either.

muniosi

Post by muniosi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 am

This is a really cool project idea! I've never heard of the WonderSwan but I'm eagerly looking forward to the finished product.

Personally I like the idea of using the 2.8" screen - those bezels would bug me to death :D
I've just finished my milk.

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:03 pm

muniosi wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:48 am
This is a really cool project idea! I've never heard of the WonderSwan but I'm eagerly looking forward to the finished product.

Personally I like the idea of using the 2.8" screen - those bezels would bug me to death :D
Assuming I can get everything to fit, I will probably change it out for the 2.8" eventually. The 2.5" is a perfect fit for the GBP.

C.Egret

Post by C.Egret » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:12 am

At least, A mod using "non-gameboy" portable console!

Bravo.

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:00 am

C.Egret wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:12 am
At least, A mod using "non-gameboy" portable console!

Bravo.
Thanks! I built a few GBZ DMGs already and wanted to see something else done. Too good a deal on this unit to pass up.

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Scratching traces wasn't going well. The test pads ended up being cut off to make space. I used clear tape to isolate the pcb front and copper tape strips to make the buttons work. I tried tac switches on a pcb but it didn't work well and I hated the clicking.

Pi0W works, screen works, banggood power module works. Need to order 14500 2000mAh cell and wire up all the gpio madness.

Haven't ran wires for upper dpad yet. USB sounds going to be super ultra mega tight somewhere, probably where the speaker currently resides. No room for a USB hub, so I'll probably do a DPDT for audio/port in this as well.

This is entirely too small.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:50 pm

Got some work done on it earlier today. USB audio is wired and in place. Still need to wire GPIO controls, get the 14500 cell, and install a micro usb port for charging. But it works!

Final layout, few more bits to be added / soldered
SpoilerShow
IT'S ALIIIIIVE
SpoilerShow
It actually closes completely and totally. This thing is tiny; I'll post photos in my hand when it's finally done. It's super dense as well.
SpoilerShow
USB is split via DPDT switch between the external port and the Audio DAC. Saves me the hassle of trying to shoehorn a hub into the unit.

Also, a game is on the way from Japan via snail mail. No one had a dead cart on eBay, so I got the cheapest WS cart I found to gut and shield the Pi.

moosepr

Post by moosepr » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:32 am

You don't hang about! If they weren't so hard to get hold of, a custom board in there would be a super easy conversion! Your going to need some weird button mapping on that
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:11 pm

moosepr wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:32 am
You don't hang about! If they weren't so hard to get hold of, a custom board in there would be a super easy conversion! Your going to need some weird button mapping on that
I downloaded Eagle but haven't figured it all out yet. Eventually an AIO or even just a button pcb would make this much easier.

I only ran the bottom dpad. I'll get to the top eventually, for now I just wanted to see if it could be done.

Orochi Kusanagi

Post by Orochi Kusanagi » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:05 pm

That is so cool! The Wonderswan was my favorite handheld ever, I still play mine from time to time. It's so awesome to see a project like this.