this is my first post on SudoMod as well as my first ever portable build. I always like to make things and after I helped a friend of mine to build his first GBZ portable, I became inspired to also build one. But I wanted to create a challenge for me (Bad idea in hindsight ) and build one in a GameBoy Advance case.
So without further ado: Pictures.
Ignore he goop around the headphone port, it came a bit loose and since I'm never going to take this thing apart again, glue had to do.
I will probably cut up an old GBA game to cover the battery.
I even managed to fit 4 buttons on the front, even after many people thought they wouldn't fit (To add insult to injury I even used SNES buttons. (Okay, that was a really stupid decision on my part ))
I made my own button "PCB", after trying to glue together the contact pads from the cheap-o SNES controller (Spoiler: Didn't work as well as I hoped).
I made them by soldering to contacts to a perfboard and using a file to make them quite thin and uniform. (I didn't have striped perfboard laying around, and to be honest this worked really well )
- Raspberry Pi Zero W with 16GB SD card
- 3.5" Screen from BW (According to the wiki it's variant 9, but the resolution is 320x240)
- USB DAC (same one used in Wermy's MintyPi build)
- Some cheap SNES controller for parts
- a GBA replacement case
- PowerBoost 1000c and a 2000mAh LiPo from PKCELL
If I ever build one of these again, here are the things I would change:
- Make a custom PCB to make room for all the other components (or even including them on the PCB)
- Use GBA buttons (it would be awesome if I could find X and Y GBA buttons, or just plain colored ones)
- By using a custom PCB: make the entire outside look cleaner, e.g. use the original power switch cover