Custom resin casting parts

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
fdeluxe

Re: Custom resin casting parts

Post by fdeluxe » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 am

Very nice! Maybe you could make a mold from a ready-to-use DMG shell (extra button holes, big screen etc...). I also like the endless colouring and material possibilities

jellybelly

Post by jellybelly » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 am

fdeluxe wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 am
Very nice! Maybe you could make a mold from a ready-to-use DMG shell (extra button holes, big screen etc...). I also like the endless colouring and material possibilities
I have been thinking that but it's a far to complex piece to do atm... I will try one day tho

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:01 am

I would definitely kill for a custom cast resin shell with everything ready to use :D
Follow me on instagram Image

jellybelly

Post by jellybelly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 am

YaYa wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:01 am
I would definitely kill for a custom cast resin shell with everything ready to use :D
I'm not sure it would be achievable to be honest

All shells are ABS plastic injection moulded

I will try one day tho

jellybelly

Post by jellybelly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 am

It might be possible tho to cast a VMU shell for kites board which would be cool

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:08 am

jellybelly wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 am
It might be possible tho to cast a VMU shell for kites board which would be cool
Yeah this will prevent us from killing the market and destroy all the available VMU’s... :lol:

Just joking but this can be really annoying because the shells are not available like DMG cases are from aftermarket so for the Legacy it is not really cool.

Imagine if we had salvaged all the existing gameboys for our builds :o
Follow me on instagram Image

moosepr

Post by moosepr » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:16 am

the VMU idea isnt as crazy as it sounds!! The internals can be pre-modded to suit the AIO board, and the back could be changed so it didnt have the battery door in it.

im assuming something like a VMU is small enough to cast ok?
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:27 am

YaYa wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:08 am
Just joking but this can be really annoying because the shells are not available like DMG cases are from aftermarket so for the Legacy it is not really cool.
Man, there is literally a GLUT of them. There are thousands available on ebay, brand new, unopened in box with original batteries, and nobody wants them. It's almost as if Sega made a shed ton of them expecting the DC to sell in massive numbers before actually selling them. I thought it was some kind of strange dumping on the market but nearly a year later there's still loads around for stupid cheap. (not the white ones but the translucent green and blue ones)
so feel free to buy up a few to rescue for when there are none left and suddenly they become super rare (spoiler alert, you might be waiting a loooong time for that to happen. I don't think thousands of people are rushing out to get VMU's to turn into RetroPie players... just a few crazy people) I think they are more likely to end up getting turned into landfill (because nobody bought them) than into Pi Cases...

jellybelly

Post by jellybelly » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:02 am

Yea a mold could be taken from a modded shell and then re cast.

The issue wirh doing large shell is the high areas. So every screw post, every buttons well. These all need to be vented to all air to escape. A VMU would one have a minimal amount of high spots

I'm currently working and waiting on some switch joy come to hoepfully cast these but will have 5o waiting an see really

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 am

jellybelly wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:51 am
I'm not sure it would be achievable to be honest
It's definitely castable. It would just take a crap-load of RTV to do it, so it's really not practical.