RAW/Pi, My Pocket Zero Terminal Tin

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
Trekintosh

RAW/Pi, My Pocket Zero Terminal Tin

Post by Trekintosh » Fri May 25, 2018 11:26 pm

Howdy. I've been puttering around the discord for a few weeks now, but not really done much on the forums. My project is coming along enough by this point that I should probably make a post documenting what I'm doing. Partly to share, and partly to help myself remember what I'm doing!

So I want a pocket linux terminal with a real keyboard. This all started when Ben Heck made a BASIC computer with an xbox 360 chatpad. Realizing that the chatpad can be used as an input device for things other than calling people in call of duty gay kinda blew my mind. I did some googling for "raspberry pi pocket" and discovered the MintyPi and Sudomod in general.

I thought a mint tin would be perfect, as previously I was thinking of making the case out of MDF or engraving plastic, which would be far too thick. However, the Xbox 360 Chatpad (hereby known simply as "chatpad") is far too large for an Altoids tin. So I went to the dollar store to see if there were any somewhat larger tins lying around. All I found were some disgusting cinnamon mints in a box the same size as Altoids. I tried Target, maybe there'd be some gamer merch tins or something like that. Nothing there.

Finally I went to Amazon, searched for "mint tin" and "metal tin" and bought some tins that are waaaaay too large and didn't have a hinge, despite being advertised as hinged. I also went to an antiques store, and found this near perfect vintage first aid tin, but it was just a bit too small on the sides, and the chatpad keyboard pushed it out slightly.
SpoilerShow
Finally I went to ebay and also searched for "metal tin" and "mint tin" and came across these RAW rolling tobacco tins. 4.5"x2.5"x1". Perfect size!
SpoilerShow
Hooray for size! Not hooray for styling. Can't stand this tin, really. I think I'm gonna take some acetone to the paint and relabel it as RAW/Pi.

So next up was to get the keyboard working. The chatpad has a little PIC microcontroller and communicates over serial. There is an existing driver for raspberry pi from newsdownload, but after piddling with it for 3 hours and having zero signs of success, I gave up and instead tried my Arduino Micro clone. That doesn't have enough serial ports, so I tried this library which comes with an example for Arduino Leonardo, which I used with an Aideepen BadUSB Beetle, which is in essence an entire Arduino Leonardo on a PCB barely bigger than the ATMega CPU. This worked perfectly first time!
SpoilerShow
Now that I knew what I needed, I could design a bracket in Illustrator to hold everything in place, which ended up being this:
SpoilerShow
After that I exported the actual frame pieces individually as SVGs, then imported them into Tinkercad.
SpoilerShow
So the USB ports go in the big beefy brackets in the middle, the hub in the bracket on the right, the Leonardo in the bracket on the left, and the power circuit on top of it. Finally the Pi goes in upside down on the fat screw posts, the battery sits in the cutout in the top, and the xbox chatpad screws into the smaller posts on the outside.

A lovely Sudomod member (who goes by @chedda on discord) is printing this design for me tonight. Once it arrives I can see how it all comes together.
SpoilerShow
Things I've noticed I did wrong,

I just realized I have no way to disassemble my device once the baseplate is stuck down. The screws for the chatpad go in from the bottom, and if the baseplate is stuck to the bottom of the tin, there's no way at all to get the chatpad screws out, which means the rest of the assembly can't really be disassembled. I'm going to have to change this for V2, somehow. Not sure how, though. Perhaps making the screw posts for the chatpad also screw in from above, somehow.

Other things I haven't mentioned yet: I'm using a 3.5" or 4.0" screen. I've got a generic Arduino 3.5" 320x480 screen coming tomorrow from Amazon, and I'll see if I can get it up and running, and what kind of interface it even has, SPI or parallel. In either case, it'll be coming up on a simple 28AWG ribbon from the Pi's GPIO.

I think I'll squeeze a USB DAC in somewhere, as I have a free port on the USB hub that isn't being used. This is mainly a terminal and probably won't ever boot into a window manager, but it'd be nice to have sound if I feel like it.

That's all, folks! Stay tuned for the next part.
Last edited by Trekintosh on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trekintosh

Re: RAW/Pi, My Pocket Zero Terminal Tin

Post by Trekintosh » Fri May 25, 2018 11:26 pm

-reserved for future updates-

ThompsonTinkers

Post by ThompsonTinkers » Sat May 26, 2018 9:58 pm

This looks great!

Trekintosh

Post by Trekintosh » Mon May 28, 2018 4:21 pm

A small update, so I won't put it in OP or the reserved post. I finally got a 3.5" 480x320 display to work. First I ordered two incorrect displays, so we just won't talk about those. Then I spent most of today trying to get this display to work http://a.co/gG6hCyF

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it going with FBTFT drivers, which I would have preferred, but after the official drivers bricked my first install of Raspbian Lite, and me spending about 3 or 4 hours trying to get something FBTFT, FBCP, SPI_LCD, or related to work, I tried the official driver in desperation again, and it worked perfectly. So I dunno why, but I won't complain that it works now.

Here's a picture of it next to the 2.8" 320x240 TFT I was initially using. The bump in resolution and size were both much appreciated.
SpoilerShow

Still waiting on printed parts to arrive. They're done, but memorial day is holding back delivery.

Trekintosh

Post by Trekintosh » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Update:

I made a logo for the project. It uses the IEEE cigarette logo, to go with the rolling tobacco motif I'm stuck with.

Chedda's printed parts arrived, and I realized that my initial design was infeasible for a few reasons, also a few of the brackets were too tight for their circuit boards. So I've got a new design that has some slightly moved brackets, and I made room where needed. I also changed it to a two-part design, with an upper keyboard bezel that connects to the bottom bracket.
SpoilerShow
Main Bracket
Keyboard Bezel (featuring V1 of the logo)
Bezel 3D