Noob Tries to Make a Pii U (Wii U Retropie Gamepad)

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
DoggieWokkie

Re: Noob Tries to Make a Pii U (Wii U Retropie Gamepad)

Post by DoggieWokkie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:05 pm

Inspirational! Just about to embark on this meself.

Darksyder510

Post by Darksyder510 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:31 am

Any updates on the progress of this? Just about have everything ready to go. was going to follow what you have been doing.

BlueWeaselBreath

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:59 pm

Yes, a bit! Thank you for the nudge! I have posted a bit on some further prep I had to do (still working on posting it all), and I will soon post the schematic I’ve drawn up, so the community can make sure it looks good! That will be my goal for this week. I’m moving house so some of the heavier stuff will have to wait til next month, I’m afraid. Thanks again, Darksyder!

Darksyder510

Post by Darksyder510 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:13 am

Hey BlueWeaselBreath, congrats on the new home or new place? I had a question for you. Have you thought about changing your charging circuit board from micro usb to usb-c? i would think that with everything going usb-c now it would give a more reliable cable and faster charging. I have the micro usb charging circuit board but i just ordered the usb c to kind of tinker with it to see if it is even a possibility of making it work. i figured it would make my life easier since my phone uses USB C. One cable to charge it all kind of deal.

BlueWeaselBreath

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks!! That's actually a really good idea. One cable to rule them all. In theory, it should work just fine! In practice, I admit that I don't know if there are unforeseen complications this might bring (e.g., do any other components need to be adjusted?), so please anyone leave a comment if they have any thoughts on how using a USB-C in place of the Micro- might change anything. If I don't hear anything, I'll be adding this as a potential option in my instructions.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:45 pm

You need to add a 5.1k resistor to GND on the CC pins otherwise only 5v chargers will work and not the typical phone chargers with usb-c that can go to 9v or more. Unless you add a proper usb-c chip too there is no fast charging just regular charging rate, so it's not just a simple swap of a socket but it can be if you are realistic and do what I said above with the resistors.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Darksyder510

Post by Darksyder510 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:59 am

Helder - please help me understand this USB-C a tiny bit more. So if I were to add a 5.1k resistor to the GND on the CC( Charge Circuit?) pins, I should be able to use the 9v chargers? Also what proper USB-C chip are you talking about adding for fast charging, or is that the 5.1k resistor you are talking about above?

Sorry if I sound like a noob, we all gotta start somewhere by asking questions to things we do'nt understand/know right? :-)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:19 pm

All the resistors do is tell the charger that this device needs voltage and if it can't communicate past that it defaults to 5v (be sure to look at your chargers label to be sure 5v is on there). For fast charging and other things usb-c related check out this IC.

https://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/p ... d=FUSB302B
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

McShivers

Post by McShivers » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:07 pm

Hey all! I'm new to the forum (just stumbled across it while diving right into the deep end of handheld modding and making). I've just placed a (rather sizable) first order to start collecting parts that I'll need for such a build as well. This is also my first attempt at hacking together something that resembles a handheld gaming console. The build guide posted here (and from others, mainly BanjoKazooie and IrieMars) has inspired me to get the ball rolling on this project. Originally I wanted to do something smaller, like a PiSP Gameboy Advance build, but quickly realized that the less space you have, the harder the project is :roll: SO...I finally settled on the Wii U gamepad as it seems a bit more attainable for a decently finished first project. I'm planning on doing a build guide for my project as well once I actually get started. Hopefully (with some luck) it'll turn out half as good as BlueWeaselBreath's. So far this build guide has been priceless in trying to figure out what parts/components to use and how to get everything wired up and working together. Wish me luck!

BlueWeaselBreath

Post by BlueWeaselBreath » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:55 pm

Instructional post has been updated with how to slim down the sound card and LCD board.