So this is a slightly different project for me - a restoration of a Game Boy Light.
I've been after one of these for some time to add to my collection but as you may know they are not so easy to come by and those available are often in poor working order or physical condition.
I managed to pick this one up for $75(AUS) from an eBay seller of the east coast. He specialises in retro gaming equipment which is nice for me as things can be scare here!
Electronically this is in great condition. The power switch was a little sensitive so I worked some isopropyl into it and it's now perfect. The screen also works fine and the backlight is nice and bright.
The shell was in quite poor condition however hence the inspiration for my refurb. Some of the paint had completely rubbed off, there were various scratches, a few dings and the screen lens has seen better days. The serial number sticker was also missing and main sticker was worn. There were also remnants of old stickers that had been added by the previous owner.
First thing to do was to clean the shell of all dirt, grime, oil etc. This was done with hot soapy water and a brush / sponge.... Easy
Next...what paint to use and how to do it?
I settled for automotive paint which is hard wearing and perfect for handhelds and decided to go with the 3 stage paint process. Primer, paint and a top coat.
To colour match I took part of the shell to the local auto store - I was pretty happy with the shade I found. Ironically, a shade I HATE on cars
Next, the primer itself... I used a spray primer specifically for plastics and one that was the same brand as my paint and top coat. I'm no expert but I've read that mixing products can end badly if they are not compatible. The primer was clear went on nicely and I gave the shell parts 2 coats each.
After allowing time to dry (time varies depending on product) I gave the first coat of colour, each time shaking the can for circa 2 mins and spraying from around 20cm. This went surprisingly well and I applied a second coat which is, as of now drying.
Depending on the finish I may add a 3rd before looking to cope coat once 100% happy with finish. I will also look for a nice gloss top coat to try and match the original.
For now, so far so good and I'm happy with how its going. Really excited to progress and hopefully get this project finished with a great looking Game Boy Light at the end of it. More to follow!
Currently waiting on my stickers as I have completed the painting and top coat layers. Slightly less glossy than I was going for but working to polish the top coats once its had a few more days to dry.
Here's a picture of the front in its current state: