Waveshare Gamehat

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
SkyCaptainHD

Re: Waveshare Gamehat

Post by SkyCaptainHD » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:51 pm
Nice! I agree, quick build and fantastic screen. Really nice value. Good job :D
HoolyHoo, I noticed on your Instagram feed you have a battery monitor on screen for your Game Hat. Is that just a script you can add or do you need to do anything else besides a script for the battery monitor?

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 am

SkyCaptainHD wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 am
HoolyHoo wrote:
HoolyHoo, I noticed on your Instagram feed you have a battery monitor on screen for your Game Hat. Is that just a script you can add or do you need to do anything else besides a script for the battery monitor?
Its a script that reads battery voltage like the Minty Pi script. It also uses the center joystick button as the "mode" button to do a safe shutdown, wifi, and bt toggle. Adding an ADS1015 module to do the battery monitoring is necessary as well as doing a slight mod to use the center joystick button.

SkyCaptainHD

Post by SkyCaptainHD » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:04 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:28 am
SkyCaptainHD wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 am
HoolyHoo wrote:
Its a script that reads battery voltage like the Minty Pi script. It also uses the center joystick button as the "mode" button to do a safe shutdown, wifi, and bt toggle. Adding an ADS1015 module to do the battery monitoring is necessary as well as doing a slight mod to use the center joystick button.
I figured with the Waveshare Game Hat having the on board battery light percentage indicators that I wouldn't have add anything, just some script.

Is it just the ADS1050 module I would have to add? (I don't want to add the joystick press to activate it.) I'd like to have it up on the screen at all times. How hard is it to add on? Any soldering needed? (Don't have a soldering iron just yet.)

Sorry for the questions, I'm new to all this and don't fully understand everything just yet.

Thanks again for your help.

klachow

Post by klachow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:16 am

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:33 am
SkyCaptainHD wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:09 am
HoolyHoo wrote:
A couple quick questions for you HoolyHoo. Questions about the 3D Designed case you created for the Waveshare Game Hat. What
particularly about the buttons that you have to change them out to fit the case onto it? Are the holes too small to fit the stock buttons? Can the hole just be made a little bigger to fit the existing buttons on the board out of the box?

And do you also have a helpful video of swapping the buttons out to fit the 3D Printed case?

Just curious. Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Also do you have a discuss thread for the case you created here on the Forums?
The soft buttons are lower in height and as the case is will not work without replacing them with the soft tactiles. If you make the holes bigger then it will work, however, the buttons will sit higher up than what you see in the pictures with my case.

Unfortunately, I only bought one gamehat and did not video the process. Changing the buttons was relatively easy but you have to be careful as you don't want to pull the traces if one of the legs hasn't desoldered completely. The process consisted of applying alternating heat with a soldering iron to the four legs until the solder was molted. Then it simply slid off. The new switch fit in the footprint, so it was just a matter of soldering them to the pcb. Easy, just be careful.

I haven't made a post in the forums but feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks for your interest.
I get that you swap out the existing switches for the quieter silicon ones, but what button caps did you use? Thanks.

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:53 pm

klachow wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:16 am

I get that you swap out the existing switches for the quieter silicon ones, but what button caps did you use? Thanks.
The same one that come with the GameHat. You just need to trip the legs flush and use the 3D printed insert

klachow

Post by klachow » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:36 pm

Ah, okay I get it, thank you.