Technically my first project.

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
jonlimitless

Technically my first project.

Post by jonlimitless » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:49 pm

Hi Sudomod Forum!

Long time so see for some since the beginning (the original forum I was on) as I have been busy at work 60~80+ a week for a couple months now. But I do have some interesting news and thought I would share it here. I built this little device yesterday at work and have to say I was pretty happy I could do something like this. Seems small but still a big step towards future projects like my custom Game Boy I have planned. I've tinkered with a lot of stuff over the years to fix for my personal use or as needed but never a planned project with a goal in mind.

What it does:
The device is setup to power a 12V LED strip to help cut paper/flyers/business cards. It has a detachable power supply and switch to toggle the power.

How I made it:
First I removed the old AC adapter plug and soldered a new size coaxial power plug that I got from Radio Shack (as seen in the top right of the picture). Proceeded to align the enclosure at it's future location on the machine and measured the holes that I would need to use a Dremel on. Drilled the appropriate size holes to inlay the switch and power jack. Then used solder and electrical tape to ensure a secure safe connection on all the wire/parts. Finally I tucked everything away internally and hooked the device up to the cutting machine.

Safety Steps Taken:
- Wore safety glasses during cutting the enclosure and soldering wires. (Seems stupid during soldering but I don't like the idea of hot metal flying towards my eyes.)
- Tested the AC Adapter with a meter before/after installing the new plug and then before/after installing it to the machine.
- Wrapped all wires or areas that were soldered with electrical tape. (A mostly cause it was close to other wires and metal areas.)
- Used a vice on the enclosure during cutting and while soldering things to make sure my hand wasn't in danger by holding it.
- Made sure to run the positive line as red wire and the ground to be black wire.

Final Thoughts:
Was an awesome time at work to get paid to have fun and saved my boss some money from hiring a tech to repair it. I can't wait to start on my Game Boy Zero project.

Please tell me what you think, and give me any advice that you may have. Thank you.

If you are an 'experienced professional' and notice any safety concerns, please reply AND message me directly. I greatly appreciate it.

Kilren

Re: Technically my first project.

Post by Kilren » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:48 pm

I'm a little confused exactly what this is. You care you explain further? Maybe a picture of a demonstration?