SNES RetroPie w/ Sense HAT

Want to show off your own project? Want to keep a build log of it? Post it here!
kopas

SNES RetroPie w/ Sense HAT

Post by kopas » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:50 pm

I had Sense HAT lying around and decided I wanted to spiff up my RetroPie a bit...

I picked up a Retroflag case to match my existing 8BitDo controllers. Dremeled out the fake cartridge slot and used a short GPIO extension cable with an extra tall stacking header to mount the Sense HAT in the cartridge slot. It was pretty cramped inside the case and I ended up having to sacrifice two of my USB ports to get everything to fit. (Thankfully not the two that front USB extensions plug into.) A generous amount of hot glue keeps everything in place.

I wired a 30x30x7mm fan to the 3.3V to move a little air around inside the case. (It was really loud using 5V.) I rewired the safe shutdown cable to avoid using any of the same pins as the Sense HAT. Modified the python code to use the new pins and everything works as expected.

To finish things off, I wrote a bit of python code that rotates through a set of 100 8x8 pixel character images. (I used Johan Vinet's artwork for this.) It throws up a new image every minute.
Final ProductShow