Attack of the (PCB) Clones

Site/Forum announcements
Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Attack of the (PCB) Clones

Post by Helder » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:49 pm

People want gerbers on OSHPark? I've had them there for over a year and posted it here in the sale forums.

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/EZmk5m2A
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/qydzMTVJ
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/tQqjx16m

I even set the boards up (common ground board) on DirtyPCB.com so people can buy lots of 10 in any color they offer for real cheap so you don't need me or ebay to buy them.

https://dirtypcbs.com/store/designer/de ... r-v1-0-zip

So I'm saying I did my part and gave people options to buy such boards and I even had the files on a github but saw greedy people just remove my name and logo and insert theirs and commercially sell them even though the license says not to and to share any changes made to the boards, I assume replacing my name and logo is not considered a change.

So behavior like that made me remove the files completely from the git and no one did anything atleast that I have seen with those files to improve them or better yet share them as per the license they agreed to when they downloaded the files so why should I share anything else with anyone?

As for the stock and demand thing it all depends on what is going on and what improvements we can add to them that is also a factor in not having more of the same boards available. Not to mention I don't want to spend alot of my money buying boards that people might not buy and just sitting on them hoping they move. This has always been the reason I do a preorder, you are basically funding the amount of boards I plan to have ordered and assembled. Also since it is a time consuming thing to box and ship all these orders and print labels especially international labels I tend to not take on too many because that also leads to people asking when their orders are being shipped.

I can only get to their order when I process all the others before them and it can takes days to a week to go through all that because I do this as a hobby and have a life and family and a full time job to do before I dedicate the time to do anything else. I always get the orders out but people always expect everything here and now but that's not how this works as this is not a company but an individual you're dealing with.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

cvondra

Post by cvondra » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:21 pm

Agree with Yahmez. The lack of availability of AIO is crazy and the demand is through the roof. I ended up not supporting ckliang because I didn't trust his product and the price point for a chinese knockoff was way to high IMHO. However, I waited approx 3 months for my Kite kit, which is amazing BTW, but realized after I got it I should have purchased another one for my second GBZ project. However it looks like it won't even be up for pre-order till the 18th of Oct. Helder seems to have abandoned anything but the MintyPi project. We all want to support the creators but we are all at a serious loss on what to do.

Just my 2-cents.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:41 pm

I hear you guys on the availability. That's something you should definitely ping the original creators (e.g Helder, Kite, etc.) about: if a ton of people are clamoring for more, they will order more, I'm sure.
Whether something is in or out of stock is sort of besides the point of this thread, though. Really the only point I was trying to make is that there are, I am 100% certain, people copy/pasting other members' work and selling it on here without permission. I'm not comfortable giving those people equal time/space to sell their wares here as the original creators.
ImageImageImageImage

theGamer93

Post by theGamer93 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 am

Wouldn't it be possible to make the PCBs open source? And if Kite or Helder don't want to open source their designs, why don't we create a new design together? So everyone can etch their own PCB or let them produce. If everyone can reproduce them, the "black market" gets shrinked down. In China they offer PCB Cloning for as little as 50 - 70$ per PCB and I guess when they find out, about the demand we have on these PCBs, they start cloning them in masses.

BTW: Is that a modified Helder-clone? I found that german Website, because I joined their Facebook Group, last week. https://www.zeroboy.eu/produkt/zeroboy- ... ontroller/

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 am

theGamer93 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:31 am
Wouldn't it be possible to make the PCBs open source? And if Kite or Helder don't want to open source their designs, why don't we create a new design together? So everyone can etch their own PCB or let them produce. If everyone can reproduce them, the "black market" gets shrinked down. In China they offer PCB Cloning for as little as 50 - 70$ per PCB and I guess when they find out, about the demand we have on these PCBs, they start cloning them in masses.

BTW: Is that a modified Helder-clone? I found that german Website, because I joined their Facebook Group, last week. https://www.zeroboy.eu/produkt/zeroboy- ... ontroller/
I open sourced the files for the boards before and no one did shit with it besides resell it with their names and that link is not a clone of my boards, inspired yes but original.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

gamingbro

Post by gamingbro » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:17 am

i finanlly understand this issue i am know enlightend