Community Project Competitions

Site/Forum announcements
obsidianspider

Re: Community Project Competitions

Post by obsidianspider » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 pm

I think it's a great idea to promote creativity and learning. I already stated most of this on Discord, but here it is again

A few thoughts:
  • Different categories depending on access to equipment (3D printers, etc.)
  • Agreed values for some common or required challenge components so people who don't have a huge stockpile aren't penalized for buying things domestically if they are trying to get in under a price threshold.
  • Challenges to use interesting, but inexpensive components that don't seem to be widely used due to challenges with interfaces that dont' seem to be tackled often (screens, input devices, etc.)
  • Builds should have parts lists made available
  • Photos of the "guts" should be part of the submission. There are loads of cool builds out there that no one wants to show the inside of because they are protecting their methods to then sell on eBay, etc.
  • What you had to figure out to make it work would be really cool to see. (Examples: How does your safe shutdown circuit work? How did you get that I²C screen displaying the game metadata?)

Marky_Malarky

Post by Marky_Malarky » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:29 am

Great thoughts Mr spider,

I like the idea of categories If you were considering doing quarterly competitions I think it gives good time for all issues mentioned and allows time for the different skill levels for the super beginners that want to give it a go. Sourcing parts in country is always preferred but none of us can deny China's glorious cheapness, understandable tho if we do keep it simple. But with ample time like that it should be no issue.

Curious as to what you were thinking regarding what would be judged in the competitions Wermy if you are ready to disclose/discuss that portion.

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Thanks guys. Having categories could be a great idea if we have a ton of people doing it. I have no idea if that will be the case, though, so for the first one we probably won't. As far as judging, I was thinking we'd do a simple poll and let everyone vote on their favorite. I'm open to other ideas, though. :)
ImageImageImageImage

SpazTaztic

Post by SpazTaztic » Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:28 pm

I just recently stumbled on your forum and registered this morning.

I would definitely be interested in these challenges, but I agree with the budget being around $50 to account for shipping costs and a 2-3 month timeline to account for overseas shipping and build time. With my 2 and half hour commute each way to work and current schedule, 2-3 months would be plenty of build time in my opinion.

rodocop

Post by rodocop » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:02 pm

Interesting idea. I would likely take part. Always nice to have some new projects to work on!

DubiousEngineering

Post by DubiousEngineering » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:28 am

Haha... sounds supercool... I’d be in for hanging some cheap parts together to make something dubious! :)

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:53 pm

DubiousEngineering wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:28 am
Haha... sounds supercool... I’d be in for hanging some cheap parts together to make something dubious! :)
I see what you did there ;)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Thanks guys. I'll likely announce it on the 10th, as that's the anniversary of when I launched the site. :)

I know we won't be able to make everybody 100% happy, but I'll take suggestions into consideration and hopefully come up with something that the majority can get on board with.
ImageImageImageImage

ArKade

Post by ArKade » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:31 pm

Should there be a limit on how many things can be 3D printed? Or should there be separate categories for those that have them? Would the cost of having to pay someone to print something for you be put into the cost? If so, then the people that have printers would have a huge advantage.

turtleisaac

Post by turtleisaac » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:00 pm

I think this is a good idea, but would a part that comes from a Adafruit Kit or something like that be allowed? If there is something I want to make that uses components that are in an Adafruit Kit, it would be nice if it was allowed because the kits are cheaper than buying some parts separately, and getting what i need in the kit along with some extra parts seems like a good idea to me. For example, the Joy Bonnet Kit on Adafruit has the Pi Zero W, and the button pcb I need, along with a power cable and a mini HDMI to HDMI adapter. Basically, would buying a kit for some parts be allowed, since kits tend to be cheaper than individual parts, and this would help with dealing with the budget
Gamer, Programer, 3d Printer-er.