Community Project Competitions

Site/Forum announcements
dryja123

Re: Community Project Competitions

Post by dryja123 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:21 am

ArKade wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:31 pm
Should there be a limit on how many things can be 3D printed? Or should there be separate categories for those that have them? Would the cost of having to pay someone to print something for you be put into the cost? If so, then the people that have printers would have a huge advantage.
I'm offering my printer to people for the competition. I would only charge the costs of materials + shipping. We would probably put it in the details that the material costs would be counted against your budget but the shipping costs for outsourced prints could be excluded. When you slice a model it will give you the material cost estimate. It's typically very cheap.

DubiousEngineering

Post by DubiousEngineering » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Crikey! - We will be making a BluePeter SuperComputer out of a Cornflake box and double sided sticky back plastic at this rate! :-) ... Go for it Wermy! Make people use a 16f877 pic microcontroller and a 16x2 LCD... Seriously, how about just putting a limit on the parts cost and letting people do their thing... so, You can only spend £40 max ($60)... you have to list local costs. Love you guys, love this forum. So happy YouTube recommended WERMY to me and he mentioned SUDOMOD! (The algorithm worked that day!)

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:43 pm

I know I'm a little late on getting all this going - it was surprisingly hard to settle on a couple parts that are cheap and versatile enough that they wouldn't sort of pigeon-hole people into a narrow set of choices for their projects. I've got them picked out now, I think, so what I'm going to do is make a video showing how to use them so everyone will have sort of equal footing starting off (it'll also give the competition some good exposure too - far more than just people stumbling on it in the forums). I'll keep you guys posted. :)
ImageImageImageImage

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:49 am

Another update for y'all: the parts I picked out should be here today. Hoping to finish up a different video by this weekend, then I'll get a video done showing the parts, how to set up and use them, etc. Also have been getting some prizes lined up. :)
ImageImageImageImage

CrustyChunks

Post by CrustyChunks » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:31 am

I'm a garbage noob at all of this, but I'm up for the challenge. I think it sounds like a lot of fun.

DubiousEngineering

Post by DubiousEngineering » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Oooohhh.... it’s all getting exciting! ... can you give us some links / description so we can get bits on order and do some independent research please?

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:08 pm

Soon guys I promise! :) I'd like to get everything up all at once. Need to finish up this current video I'm working on and then I'll get right to work on a video/announcement. It'll show how to get up and running with the required parts and should help folks get started.
ImageImageImageImage

HelloGoodSir

Post by HelloGoodSir » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:15 pm

I think 30 or 40 dollars limit would be good, I think some things like wires, or tins shouldn't be counted (most people have that already). I think one month would be a good time limit, although maybe a little bit longer. I say 6 competitions a year (Maybe 4 depending on people and their speed/opinion)

Wailer

Post by Wailer » Fri May 04, 2018 7:49 am

Love the idea,

With ali/ebay (Chinese) prices $30 seems like a reasonable amount, imho doing a good search for the cheapest part is also a competition in itself.
But shipping times have to be taken into account... (Cheaper= (usually)longer).
There is a slight risk of "losing" a order also...
Love to see the first projects coming...

Edit: in my opinion, reproducible should be a part of the discipline, so other builders/modders/all can benefit from whatever great ideas come up...

32teeth

Post by 32teeth » Tue May 08, 2018 1:36 pm

What about... ...since many of us have extra stock of hardware and such, we create a monthly Mystery Internet Box Of GBZ parts, everyone gets on a mailing list, and round robin send boxes to each other