Control Linux terminal menus with USB controller?

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
Nucklez

Control Linux terminal menus with USB controller?

Post by Nucklez » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:31 am

I have built a Gameboy Zero, using Helder's All in One version 2.2. It is basically using an arduino as a USB gamepad, I'm slowly learning more about the specs on it. With this guy, I cannot select OK, CANCEL or BACK in the Linux menus that are launched via the RertroPie menu in emulationstation. I'd rather not remap these buttons to keyboard command if I can help it, I prefer it to stay a USB joystick.

I also have a RaspberryPi 3 connected to my entertainment center in my living room. This one has a bluetooth 8bitdo NES30 Pro conntected to it. This one works with the Linux menus. Press A to select OK works after configured it per this document:
https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... controller

My question would be, could it be the udev rule that causes it to work for the 8bitdo? I've looked at it, and haven't ventured into creating my own udev script yet. I'm fairly new to Linux administration so this could be a fun challange to learn. Just wanted to see what anyone else's input would be on this? Why does the 8bitdo work, but not the arduino? Thanks!

144TECH

Re: Control Linux terminal menus with USB controller?

Post by 144TECH » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:50 pm

a keyboard needs to be present for these menu's and selections.
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863

HoolyHoo

Post by HoolyHoo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:24 am

In the ArduinoLLCArduinoLeonardo.cfg file on Retropie the button assigned "0" controls the enter or select in those menus. Unfortunately the code in the driver created for helders AIO board does not assign the "0" key to any key which is why you cannot select with it. An 8-bit controller or a PS3 controller has these assigned which is why you can select with them. If someone would re write the driver to assign a "0" key then it should work.

144TECH

Post by 144TECH » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:56 am

NO, you probably will end up with something like a teensy/atmeg chip programmed to few custom keys you want.
And use that.
i've progged a atmeg for ''ENTER'' only one button.
But you can always try the hard way :mrgreen: let us know how you ended up. :mrgreen:
* Very Rare * GBZ 640x480 v3 Stock Looks 6000MAH
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4863