Transferring ROMS using USB

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
Thatbraziliann

Transferring ROMS using USB

Post by Thatbraziliann » Tue May 10, 2016 9:06 pm

Hey so I decided to transfer roms using Usb because all other methods seemed complicated. I followed this https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... rring-Roms
which is also on the retropie.org.uk site.
I see my rom in emulation station but when I go to start it the screeb blinks a few times then takes me back to game selector under console in emulation station. I believe I may have pulled out the USB too early before it was completely written to the raspberryPI.. How do I know when its safe to pull the USB out ?

Any info is helpful thanks

ktechelonbreak

Re: Transferring ROMS using USB

Post by ktechelonbreak » Tue May 10, 2016 9:25 pm

Might have to restart emulationstation before they recognize it

Popcorn
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Popcorn » Tue May 10, 2016 10:43 pm

ktechelonbreak wrote:Might have to restart emulationstation before they recognize it
Emulation station really needs a "refresh" or "reindex" option. The number of times I've had to restart it just to see if Roms were working. :)

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Wed May 11, 2016 12:45 am

ktechelonbreak wrote:Might have to restart emulationstation before they recognize it
Does it have to be a restart? I shut down emulation station and rebooted it again and the same problem keeps occurring. I wish there was like a bar to see If it has been downloaded or anything.. Do you think on my next boot I should just leave it on there for 5 -10mins then restart and remove usb? I dont have a hub yet Im waiting on one from amazon so I have to pull usb out then use gameboy to restart or turn off. do you think that could be corrupting the file? maybe when I have HUB I can restart and nothing will be corrupted?

its just weird because the instructions even on retropie site just says pull it out.

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Wed May 11, 2016 12:48 am

The files are pretty small so it should only take a few seconds. Did you follow the instructions exactly? First format the USB to FAT32, then stick into RPi, it will create some folders for you, then take USB out, stick into PC load up some ROMs to the right emulator folder, stick that back into RPi, and after flashing finishes it'll be on there. As for restart, just press Start, choose exit and choose restart EmulationStation, no need for hard reset.

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Wed May 11, 2016 12:56 am

ktechelonbreak wrote:The files are pretty small so it should only take a few seconds. Did you follow the instructions exactly? First format the USB to FAT32, then stick into RPi, it will create some folders for you, then take USB out, stick into PC load up some ROMs to the right emulator folder, stick that back into RPi, and after flashing finishes it'll be on there. As for restart, just press Start, choose exit and choose restart EmulationStation, no need for hard reset.
Yeah I did, When I plug in my USB stick I have the /retropie folder with all the emulator names on there. and I attach the ROM to the right folder and safely unplug then plug back into PI.. when you say flashing you don't mean the lights do you?

Could it be that the ROM files are corrupted? I know I got them from a reliable source..

ktechelonbreak

Post by ktechelonbreak » Wed May 11, 2016 1:04 am

Yeah the blinking light on the USB Drive, once it's finished it'll stop blinking. As far as corrupt roms, that's probably not likely? I know each emulator takes different file names, like SNES takes quite a few although most people stick with .zip

wermy
Site Admin

Post by wermy » Wed May 11, 2016 8:52 am

Which system are you trying to emulate? Some of them can be finicky. If it's a MAME or FBA rome for example, it'll do exactly what you're describing if the ROMs are from an unsupported rom set. You'll also get this kind of behavior if you are using something like GBA without a bios.

Also I think there *is* a power menu option for "Restart Emulationstation," isn't there? Or am I crazy?
ImageImageImageImage

Robots86

Post by Robots86 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:19 am

f4 for restart

Thatbraziliann

Post by Thatbraziliann » Wed May 11, 2016 11:53 am

wermy wrote:Which system are you trying to emulate? Some of them can be finicky. If it's a MAME or FBA rome for example, it'll do exactly what you're describing if the ROMs are from an unsupported rom set. You'll also get this kind of behavior if you are using something like GBA without a bios.

Also I think there *is* a power menu option for "Restart Emulationstation," isn't there? Or am I crazy?
Yeah I AM experiencing with MAME and ALL of my GBA emulators. Whats bios? I bet this is what Im missing since all my GBA games are exactly alike.

I thought I was crazy for a second but all of my Super Nintendo games work perfectly.

(sidenote/ does anyone know how to delete games off the PI0? I now have 3 pokemon fire reds trying to see if it was because of the ROM- I delete them on my USB stick but they just keep adding up on my PI- anything helps fellas!)