Apple Pi Baker

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
dug1967

Apple Pi Baker

Post by dug1967 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:14 pm

I searched and didn't find a single mention of this software on the forum here, which surprises me :shock:

But I am a poor searcher so maybe I missed it, anyhow has anybody here used the Apple Pi Baker software to write the RetroPie image to your SD card?

Here is a link in case you haven't seen it and want to.

https://www.tweaking4all.com/software/m ... -pi-baker/

If you have used it, can you explain to me why when I run it, it doesn't recognize the SD card that is installed in my MacBook. It does not give any SD card to select to flash the image to.

This is not a paste of my actual computer, this is just an image from their website that shows what I should be seeing. When I run it, that same box is blank, with no SD-card shown

The SD card is erased and formatted to FAT32 and I can't figure out why it is not recognized by the software.

Any thoughts you have will be appreciated.

McGyver

Re: Apple Pi Baker

Post by McGyver » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:47 pm

I am using this software and works well after some tries for sd recognation. Try to format the card in advance and maybe remove and insert the card during approach the software.

dug1967

Post by dug1967 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:26 pm

McGyver,

Thanks for the thoughts, but unfortunately I have tried all of that and no help. The SD card is formatted before and I unmounted and mounted the card several times, no change in how it acted.

So you are having issues with it not showing the SD card also? I have been Google'ing for 2 days now and have seen no posts about this problem so I was thinking it was just me. I think I am going to try removing Apple Pi Baker and re-install and see if that makes a difference.

Has it happened more than once to you and if so, is there any consistency to how you get it to recognize the SD card?

I got RetroPie on the SD card through a more manual method a few weeks ago, but now I can't remember how I did it. Does anybody have a link to good instructions for doing it in OS X, they doesn't involve Apple Pi Baker?

dug1967

Post by dug1967 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:01 pm

FYI,

For future seekers, removing and reinstalling Apple Pi Baker was the trick. I realized that it was never asking me for the Admin password so that is why it couldn't see the SD card.

Anyhow if you have a similar problem, try reinstalling the program.

fraggle

Post by fraggle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:12 pm

Out of interest, why would you use software to do this? On a Mac or Linux you can just use the dd command to write an image. i.e.

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/home/RetroPie.img of=/dev/yourdisk bs=1m
Where /home/RetroPie.img is your image file and /dev/yourdisk is the path to your SD card.

It is important to make sure you get the paths the correct way around, and that you have the correct disk - otherwise you could overwrite your system. When dd is running you can press CTRL+T to see the current status/progress.

McGyver

Post by McGyver » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:03 pm

I remember first I did it via the terminal in mac and something with the dd command.

Try to read here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ges/mac.md

Kevin08

Post by Kevin08 » Mon May 07, 2018 1:27 am

ApplePi-Baker had an issue where it would hang on idle, but it was a known issue and on my end it's been fixed for a little while now. What version are you using?

ThompsonTinkers

Post by ThompsonTinkers » Mon May 07, 2018 8:28 am

FWIW, I've used etcher" to image SD cards on a Mac, and haven't had any issues.

Normally I'm pretty happy in a terminal (I'm a vim user), but it's nice to have a tool that will keep me from nuking my primary drive :lol: