Not all buttons working for certain ROMs?

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
nickz

Not all buttons working for certain ROMs?

Post by nickz » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:52 pm

Hey All,

So I got my GBZ up and running and it plays games just fine. I've loaded about ~10 ROMs or so and haven't had any problems. However, I tried playing super mario all stars (snes) and am seeing a weird issue where the AB/XY buttons simply don't work. I can use the D-Pad to choose which game I want, start button works to select a game and to enter the game. However, once I enter the game (super mario 3) for example, all of the buttons just stop working, and I can't move mario around the map to select a level or anything.

Has anyone else experienced this? I thought maybe it was the ROM, but I sourced it from a few different locations with no luck. It's just bizarre since the other ROMs I've tried playing have had no such issue.

Dukana

Re: Not all buttons working for certain ROMs?

Post by Dukana » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 am

nickz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:52 pm
Hey All,

So I got my GBZ up and running and it plays games just fine. I've loaded about ~10 ROMs or so and haven't had any problems. However, I tried playing super mario all stars (snes) and am seeing a weird issue where the AB/XY buttons simply don't work. I can use the D-Pad to choose which game I want, start button works to select a game and to enter the game. However, once I enter the game (super mario 3) for example, all of the buttons just stop working, and I can't move mario around the map to select a level or anything.

Has anyone else experienced this? I thought maybe it was the ROM, but I sourced it from a few different locations with no luck. It's just bizarre since the other ROMs I've tried playing have had no such issue.
There's a problem with that specific game. Better to just load up the original NES versions.

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:12 am

Use the libretro-Snes9x-next core as this doesn't have any problems with All-Stars.

Press 'x' when you load up the game and change the core. (you'll need a keyboard if using GBZ).

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am

On a similarly related topic: I experienced some games (one I have in mind is Advance Wars on GBA) not saving after your progress in the solo campaign. Changing ROMs didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea?

Lphillimore

Post by Lphillimore » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:26 am

Eccho wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:18 am
On a similarly related topic: I experienced some games (one I have in mind is Advance Wars on GBA) not saving after your progress in the solo campaign. Changing ROMs didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea?
Through the game itself or via save state? I believe the emulator that works with game save is EEPROM.

Assuming your save states work normally?

Regards

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:43 am

Lphillimore wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:26 am
Assuming your save states work normally?
My saves work all fine with other games. It just occured to me that some just do not save your progress
Lphillimore wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:26 am
Through the game itself or via save state?
Through the game itself.

Eccho

Post by Eccho » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:39 am

I'll need to try that out as soon as my game boy is running again. Thanks for the software tip.

nickz

Post by nickz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Dukana wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:55 am
nickz wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:52 pm
Hey All,

There's a problem with that specific game. Better to just load up the original NES versions.
Ok, will do. I just went with All Stars because that's what I have for my actual SNES, and it's convenient.
Thanks.