Gameboy advance roms not working

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring RetroPie
Metallicis

Gameboy advance roms not working

Post by Metallicis » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:29 pm

I just recently made a gameboy zero, however, whenever I try loading any gameboy advance roms, it crashes back to the rom select screen. Any help is appreciated, ask if more info is needed. (all other roms work fine).

Rod2D2

Re: Gameboy advance roms not working

Post by Rod2D2 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:24 pm

Metallicis wrote:I just recently made a gameboy zero, however, whenever I try loading any gameboy advance roms, it crashes back to the rom select screen. Any help is appreciated, ask if more info is needed. (all other roms work fine).
I believe gameboy advance roms require a BIOS file. I think this was covered on another forum thread but I can't find the link.

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:32 am

Simply search "gba_bios.bin" on Google, then download and place that file in the Bios folder on the Flashdrive that you use to transfer ROMs with! Make sure it is named exactly "gba_bios.bin"

Hope this helps :D

Metallicis

Post by Metallicis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:29 am

The bios thing worked like a charm for 4/5 games. Thank you. The one that still doesn't work is Pokemon Liquid Crystal, a hack of Fire red. It works on a computer emulator just fine.

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:00 am

Metallicis wrote:The bios thing worked like a charm for 4/5 games. Thank you. The one that still doesn't work is Pokemon Liquid Crystal, a hack of Fire red. It works on a computer emulator just fine.
Odd...have you tried changing which emulator RetroPie is using for that specific ROM?

Looks like there's 4 different emulators you can try. https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... oy-advance

Not sure if that will work but it's worth a shot. I think there's a way to set a specific emulator for individual ROMs too so you don't have to be constantly switching between emulators.

If all 4 of those emulators fail, maybe try downloading the ROM from a different site.

Metallicis

Post by Metallicis » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Racerboy wrote:
Metallicis wrote:The bios thing worked like a charm for 4/5 games. Thank you. The one that still doesn't work is Pokemon Liquid Crystal, a hack of Fire red. It works on a computer emulator just fine.
Odd...have you tried changing which emulator RetroPie is using for that specific ROM?

Looks like there's 4 different emulators you can try. https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... oy-advance

Not sure if that will work but it's worth a shot. I think there's a way to set a specific emulator for individual ROMs too so you don't have to be constantly switching between emulators.

If all 4 of those emulators fail, maybe try downloading the ROM from a different site.
I'll try this tonight and come back with my findings. Thank you.

Racerboy

Post by Racerboy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:57 pm

Did that work? I'm curious :D

Ford873

Post by Ford873 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:23 pm

I remember seeing someone else with this problem. If I recall correctly there problem was with the naming of the files. They had hash tags in the title. Once they removed the hash tags, the files worked fine.
So might be worth checking the naming of the roms.