Recalbox

Post tips/tricks or get help with configuring Recalbox
solder

Recalbox

Post by solder » Mon May 09, 2016 8:27 am

Hi community!

Anyone out there using/recommending Recalbox?

My current home media-Pis run tripleboots with Retropie/openelec/Raspian and i wondered if recalbox would be a good option for the Gameboy zero/rPi.

https://github.com/recalbox

//oh just spottet a recalbox subforum. Can someone edit/delete/move this post thx :3

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Recalbox

Post by wermy » Mon May 09, 2016 8:43 am

Actually just created a recalbox subforum. Moving this there. :)
ImageImageImageImage

reivaax

Post by reivaax » Mon May 09, 2016 9:52 am

hi solder ! :).

It's little bit to soon for say if recalbox is a better solution than retropie for gameboy zero. Like you know (or not) Recalbox doesn't give you the possibiliy to add components on it, easely than retropie. But be sure we are many recalbox user want make Raspberry zero integration on GameBoy, GameGear, etc, etc, ... ("We" have already add the sound pi zero support for the next release of recalbox).

If you have problems with pi zero integration, you can tell me and ask to recalbox developers to add features on it. I'm not a developer but i can easy ask to others contributors.

For you question about recalbox, the beter response i can give you is to try it ! :). Like Retropie, lakka, ... It's free and easy to try it :).
I'm not realy objective. I make my chose but we have the choice with a lot of realy good release of retrogamming on raspberry ! :).
But soon, if you want a packaged solution or retrogamming with minimum of configuration for retrogamming and juste a simple mediaplayer like kodi, recalbox is a really good solution. If you want modify your configuration with no specialy retrogamming feature or try experimental emulator at its output, Retropie or lakka is better for that. But realy, try it, it's the better solution to make you your own opinion. :).

solder

Post by solder » Mon May 09, 2016 10:02 am

thanks for the input.

Yeah i figured recalbox uses Retropi but it seems slicker for setting stuff up.

Will test once i got controller working ;-)

RasputiNZ

Post by RasputiNZ » Tue May 10, 2016 3:47 am

I found setting up my NES30 Pro controllers so much easier with recalbox then retropie (remapping buttons was simply). In fact I gave up trying on retropie. Seems alot easier for those with a lack of knowledge in linux (I still don't know what I'm doing half the time).

gnarlynick

Post by gnarlynick » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:11 pm

RasputiNZ wrote:I found setting up my NES30 Pro controllers so much easier with recalbox then retropie (remapping buttons was simply). In fact I gave up trying on retropie. Seems alot easier for those with a lack of knowledge in linux (I still don't know what I'm doing half the time).
Does this work on the Pi 3 w/ bluetooth? I am having a helluva time setting up my NES30 Pro controllers on Retropie and have been unsuccessful. If Recalbox works with the 3 then I am definitely jumping over. I see 4.0.0 beta 2 adds Pi 3 support but without bluetooth. Beta 3 doesn't mention if bluetooth was added.

Nosfay

Post by Nosfay » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Hi,

Still no bluetooth support on beta3, and no release date yet but a developper is working on it.

woodat

Post by woodat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:54 am

Hello! (and first post for me on this august forum :) )

I'm finishing up construction of my first GBZ and after hours battling retropie on all manner of things, I switched over to Recalbox and regret nothing! It was incredibly easy to install, had remappable GPIO input capabilities built-in, and has a wonderful network-based browser access system for managing/uploading everything. Truly the only "linuxy" stuff I had to do was use nano to edit a single line in recalbox.conf to change the video from HDMI to "default".

Eventually I need to go through it to find ways to shave off the boot time (as my GBZ won't have network built-in once I'm done I'm sure some time can be saved not initialising the network and server on it), and there's a little lag in the emulator selection window for the first 30 seconds, but that's really the extent of the issues. (Oh, and I used a USB sound card so I don't know how difficult it would be to get PWM audio working in it, though I think I read somewhere they'll have that built-in in their beta-5 release. Could be wrong though)

Merlin04

Post by Merlin04 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:14 am

solder wrote:Hi community!

Anyone out there using/recommending Recalbox?

My current home media-Pis run tripleboots with Retropie/openelec/Raspian and i wondered if recalbox would be a good option for the Gameboy zero/rPi.

https://github.com/recalbox

//oh just spottet a recalbox subforum. Can someone edit/delete/move this post thx :3
I tried Recalbox. It was very easy to set up, but not as customisable.
Here are the pros and cons of each:
Recalbox:
+ Comes with lots of games!
+ Easy to set up
+ Supports GPIO buttons without extra software.
+ Uses custom NOOBS to install (very easy)
- A bit confusing to use (What is that "hotkey" button? and Why do you use "b" to select?)
- Not as well used/documented as Retropie
- Not very customisable

Retropie:
+ VERY customisable
+ Has "Ports" section (Minecraft Pi is one option there)
+ Very well documented
+ A lot of extra settings in the retropie menu (splash screen, themes, wifi, etc. )
+ Simpler buttons
- Harder and takes more time to set up
- Not many built-in games
- Have to install software to use GPIO buttons

Overall, I would use Retropie because of its customizability, but I do wish it had as many games as Recalbox did. I will probably get an SD card, install Recalbox on it, then copy over all of the ROMs.
I haven't been active for a while. I periodically check the forum and blog for interesting projects, but don't post very much.

otaola.franc

Post by otaola.franc » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:11 pm

hello guys!
i was searching in the web and i found this video of retropie vs recalbox... it is in spanish but you can mute it if you want but it shows a really good difference for the recalbox... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKAUuqBVY_M
anynews about the subject? i am looking from some feedbacks and news about the progress of recalbox :D