Tackling Graceful Shutdowns on the GBZ

Various user-contributed guides for software-related things
tent

Re: Tackling Graceful Shutdowns on the GBZ

Post by tent » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:43 am

Yes guys but then why not really do a board that includes both powerboost and mosfets? You could even have nice pads for en low batt and my be even disable? ;)
tent:wq

Camble

Post by Camble » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:52 am

@tent prerunnerseth already posted a video on his all-in-one power board. I think a lot of people already have the PowerBoost though.

tent

Post by tent » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:06 pm

Interesting but I could not find it.. I just found that one about micro sd in the cartridge
tent:wq

hueblo

Post by hueblo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:47 pm

I wish to wire this up and test it at home with my prototype board. I have a bad Adafruit 1000C that always has the charging light on and does not charge or detect the battery (they are set to replace it). Since I cannot test the graceful shutdown with a low battery at the moment can I just test shutdown with the power switch by foregoing the resister and transistor that are hooked up to the pie?

larsen2011

Post by larsen2011 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:05 pm

Camble wrote:Alright, I'll update when I can. In the meantime, I've got a short guide to post in the Hardware section. I want to test @Popcorn's dtoverlay=gpio-poweroff idea with first.

@larsen2011 Yes. The circuit shorts EN to GND on the PowerBoost to keep everything off. After you slide the power switch to off, the JFET keeps the circuit open while the Pi shuts down.
@Camble Thanks. Understood so far. What about the "reset" button?! Not needed any more with this setup?

Camble

Post by Camble » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:07 am

@tent It's early on in this thread somewhere, with a link to a video. A prototype demo.

@hueblo Yes.

@larsen2011 I have my reset button over EN/GND.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:14 am

tent wrote:Interesting but I could not find it.. I just found that one about micro sd in the cartridge
prerunnerseth wrote:Here is a demonstration of the Power-path controller working with the Pi. This is without the battery, but everything will work the same with a battery. PCBs have already been designed and ordered with the Button/switch controller integrated with the battery charger and boost controller. It is a little bigger than the powerboost to accommodate the extra components. Ill be looking for a couple people to test the boards in the US once they arrive and I have them built. I will write a tutorial on how to wire them up and how to configure Retropie to work with them once I have the proto-boards in house.

powerboard.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UhFUvtndwE

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:07 am

Fleder wrote:
tent wrote:Interesting but I could not find it.. I just found that one about micro sd in the cartridge
prerunnerseth wrote:Here is a demonstration of the Power-path controller working with the Pi. This is without the battery, but everything will work the same with a battery. PCBs have already been designed and ordered with the Button/switch controller integrated with the battery charger and boost controller. It is a little bigger than the powerboost to accommodate the extra components. Ill be looking for a couple people to test the boards in the US once they arrive and I have them built. I will write a tutorial on how to wire them up and how to configure Retropie to work with them once I have the proto-boards in house.

powerboard.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UhFUvtndwE

I'm still working on building up funds to order my first 100 of these boards. Hopefully soon.

Ganreizu

Post by Ganreizu » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:47 am

prerunnerseth wrote:I'm still working on building up funds to order my first 100 of these boards. Hopefully soon.
Personal funds or is there a preorder thread?

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:53 am

Ganreizu wrote:
prerunnerseth wrote:I'm still working on building up funds to order my first 100 of these boards. Hopefully soon.
Personal funds or is there a preorder thread?
personal funds... I need to buy 100 or more for it to make sense... going to be a bit of money up front.