Re: [Guide] Graceful shutdown switch without Pololu

Post by skrapps914 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 pm

i'd be interested in a board

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:58 pm

Rod2D2 wrote:I would be interested in this board if its made. Maybe @Helder has plans to make one of these boards with components or atleast ready for the original switch.
@Camble already has a board designed as I had the privilege of getting a glimpse of it and @RazorX also has something in the works.

You guys should hop on the Discord page Brian setup as we're pretty active there daily.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

rob

Post by rob » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:03 am

Hi all, I want to implement this by using the original DMG-01 switch but I'm not sure how to wire the components. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Camble

Post by Camble » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:10 am

@rob The DMG-01 switch has two pairs of pins (top left and bottom right viewed from beneath in your picture).

The top left pair is closed when the switch is in the OFF position and the bottom right pair is closed when the switch is in the ON position.

Expand the second circuit diagram in my first post.

Wire the top left pair to 3.3v and the shutdown GPIO27 (or another of your choosing).
Wire the bottom right pair to EN on the powerboost and the DRAIN pin of your JFET.

Alternatively, like @Helder said, I'm working on a small replacement board and @RazorX has this solution incorporated into his all-in-one board.

@day It shouldn't matter what your power source is if you're using the PowerBoost. Simple low battery signalling is included in my board design.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:43 am

I've one more question. I ordered the jfet and resistors but the send the wrong resistor value. I have some 10k resistors, will that work or must it be 100k? I also have one 180k on the DMG board which I can reuse.

I was planning to work on the GameBoy this weekend so I cant reorder and wait...

Camble

Post by Camble » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:04 am

@rob I don't think 10k will be enough. I did try a few different values and found 100k to be sufficient. I'd recommend testing the 180k on a breadboard before building the circuit. It might do the trick. If not, you can use two 180k resistors in parallel to get 90k which will be fine.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:01 am

@Camble, I will go shopping tomorrow to get a 100k resistor just to be sure :)

Quatrerwin

Post by Quatrerwin » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:02 pm

rob wrote:I've one more question. I ordered the jfet and resistors but the send the wrong resistor value. I have some 10k resistors, will that work or must it be 100k? I also have one 180k on the DMG board which I can reuse.

I was planning to work on the GameBoy this weekend so I cant reorder and wait...
If I remember right, the pull down resistor just needs to be on the order of 100k, so 180k should be fine.

Camble

Post by Camble » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:43 pm

For those who aren't in the Discord chat room, I ordered up the first revision of the PCB today. If all goes well, I'll be able to supply it with a switch, or without for you to solder your DMG-01 switch onto.

alien0matic

Post by alien0matic » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 am

I'm trying to get this working. Can someone review my wiring? It boots just fine when the switch is set to "off" position, but when put into "on" it just cuts the power.

I connected it like this:
Drain to switch
Source to GND
Gate to BCM 4
EN (powerboost) to switch

the other side of the switch is:
3v3 to BCM 27
Attachments
IMG_20160731_182348.jpg
IMG_20160731_182348.jpg (391.22 KiB) Viewed 7283 times