[GUIDE] Wiring Diagrams: all-in-one board, graceful shutdowns, audio-only board

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
skrapps914

Re: [GUIDE] Wiring Diagrams: all-in-one board, graceful shutdowns, audio-only board

Post by skrapps914 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:01 pm

[mention]a3k4[/mention]
[mention]helder[/mention]

Hey guys I've been trying to follow this guide to get audio working and I get nothing but air

Seems I have it connected right
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (3.19 MiB) Viewed 11203 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 11203 times

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: [GUIDE] Wiring Diagrams: all-in-one board, graceful shutdowns, audio-only board

Post by Helder » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:01 pm

I'm not super familiar with the original headphone socket but to rule that out just hook up the Speaker and skip the headphone socket. Put the Switch pad to the Negative terminal and Either Left to Right to the Positive and see if that works.

Most audio issues are the wiring and that people don't set up the PWM audio in the Config.txt file, also you volume wheel might be upside down and the wiring is wrong but you don't have an image of that so I can't comment.

Another thing I notice is that there is no GND connection next to the 5V connection, I see GND on the L1/R1 but I doubt those are connected to the GND of anything else.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Helder wrote:I'm not super familiar with the original headphone socket but to rule that out just hook up the Speaker and skip the headphone socket. Put the Switch pad to the Negative terminal and Either Left to Right to the Positive and see if that works.

Most audio issues are the wiring and that people don't set up the PWM audio in the Config.txt file, also you volume wheel might be upside down and the wiring is wrong but you don't have an image of that so I can't comment.

Another thing I notice is that there is no GND connection next to the 5V connection, I see GND on the L1/R1 but I doubt those are connected to the GND of anything else.
I got the ground wired, but it's from the other side like the rest of the wires going to teensy

I'll try what you said and rewire things to test out the speaker. The wheel is connected correctly as well

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:23 pm

skrapps914 wrote:
Helder wrote:I'm not super familiar with the original headphone socket but to rule that out just hook up the Speaker and skip the headphone socket. Put the Switch pad to the Negative terminal and Either Left to Right to the Positive and see if that works.

I got the ground wired, but it's from the other side like the rest of the wires going to teensy

I'll try what you said and rewire things to test out the speaker. The wheel is connected correctly as well
PWM Audio configured in the config.txt?

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

skrapps914

Post by skrapps914 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:05 pm

Helder wrote:
skrapps914 wrote:

PWM Audio configured in the config.txt?
you know, i dont think i did that..and im not sure how to.. haha. Here's a pic with the volume wheel

edit:. i enabled pwm audio by adding the line at the end of config.txt, was able to get sound only through headphones. left side has more volume than right side. when i removed the headphones, no sound came through the speaker going to try swapping wires on speaker, maybe i have L/R mixed up

edit2: it appears my dmg jack is messed up. i tried swapping wires, had the same result.. i pulled the headphones out half way, and got full volume in the headphones on both sides. speaker still does not work when the headphones are removed fully.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 11175 times

yves1984

Post by yves1984 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:18 am

I got again a question about the resistors.
is it also allow to use some Metal Resistor (blue) http://de.aliexpress.com/item/Total-300 ... .60.ZdNtsz
or must i order some other resistors?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:39 am

skrapps914 wrote: edit2: it appears my dmg jack is messed up. i tried swapping wires, had the same result.. i pulled the headphones out half way, and got full volume in the headphones on both sides. speaker still does not work when the headphones are removed fully.
Just buy one of the cheap alternative jacks (easier to wire up).
yves1984 wrote:I got again a question about the resistors.
is it also allow to use some Metal Resistor (blue) http://de.aliexpress.com/item/Total-300 ... .60.ZdNtsz
or must i order some other resistors?
Those will work too so long as it's 1/4W or 1/2W you'll be fine.

vnman

Post by vnman » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:16 pm

I tried this approach and got audio out to speaker and head phones, the switch works as well. The exception is the volume wheel. Could not increase / decrease volume. wired exactly as described on the first post.

anyway even after adding the resistors, the sounds produced is not for me. too much hissing...

So I removed the PWM (both the cables and the code in config.txt), installed an I2S board. IT works fine when connected output to amplified speakers but not when connected to AIO via volume pot wheel.

so I now have I2S connected, the sounds produced are much better :D . My question is how to connect the I2S to the AIO / Audio board via the volume wheel.

I have at the moment I2S output to the 2 pins on the volume wheel the ones next to the ground pin (labelled RIN & LIN on the diagram on the first post, ROUT and LOUT on pot 1 & pot 2) and got no sound out of the speaker / head phone.

@Helder is it possible for you to change in the next production the labels of POT1...POT4 to LIN....ROUT... so as to not confused people that are new to the forum...Just a suggestion ;)

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:53 pm

vnman wrote:I tried this approach and got audio out to speaker and head phones, the switch works as well. The exception is the volume wheel. Could not increase / decrease volume. wired exactly as described on the first post.

anyway even after adding the resistors, the sounds produced is not for me. too much hissing...

So I removed the PWM (both the cables and the code in config.txt), installed an I2S board. IT works fine when connected output to amplified speakers but not when connected to AIO via volume pot wheel.

so I now have I2S connected, the sounds produced are much better :D . My question is how to connect the I2S to the AIO / Audio board via the volume wheel.

I have at the moment I2S output to the 2 pins on the volume wheel the ones next to the ground pin (labelled RIN & LIN on the diagram on the first post, ROUT and LOUT on pot 1 & pot 2) and got no sound out of the speaker / head phone.

@Helder is it possible for you to change in the next production the labels of POT1...POT4 to LIN....ROUT... so as to not confused people that are new to the forum...Just a suggestion ;)
Can you show me the I2S and how you connected it? did you have to add any kind of code for this?

vnman

Post by vnman » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:49 am

Helder wrote:
vnman wrote:I tried this approach and got audio out to speaker and head phones, the switch works as well. The exception is the volume wheel. Could not increase / decrease volume. wired exactly as described on the first post.

Can you show me the I2S and how you connected it? did you have to add any kind of code for this?
This is how I connected to the volume wheel -
PlainDACplus.jpg
This is the code I used in the /boot/config.txt -

Code: Select all

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)
#dtparam=audio=on 
# Enable audio (loads I2S Audio)
dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus 
aplay -l listed the I2S as card0.
I can change volume and other things with alsamixer.

Do not have the "GBZero" with me at the moment, I will take pic of my build when I am home.