[NEW VERSION] Sota's 14 buttons + optional up to 2 analog sticks guide for a Leonardo Pro Micro (Teensy alternative)

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Baconbomb80

Re: [NEW VERSION] Sota's 14 buttons + optional up to 2 analog sticks guide for a Leonardo Pro Micro (Teensy alternative)

Post by Baconbomb80 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:46 pm

goosewerks wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:49 pm
Baconbomb80 wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:41 pm
goosewerks wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:18 pm
Put one lead on GND and one lead on X or Y axis and measure the resistance change as you move the joystick.
Is it normal to have it go from 230-430-530? (the middle value is when its in the idle position)?
Yes. It's measuring resistance from 0 (bottom) to 1xxx (top). The arduino translates that data into an open or close for the Pi.
Then the joy is okey and its the arduino that is fried.

emaborsa

Re: [NEW VERSION] Sota's 14 buttons + optional up to 2 analog sticks guide for a Leonardo Pro Micro (Teensy alternative)

Post by emaborsa » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:26 am

Hi guys. I have to buy two boards...but I'm new in the arduino world. What's your opinion about these:

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Scheda-Pro-Micro ... SwA3dYZpES

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Arduino-Pro-Mini ... Swo4pYHf-c

One is Micro and the other one is Mini...differences (except missing USB)?

And what about the nano version?
http://www.ebay.it/itm/Nano-USB-V3-0-Mi ... 0005.m1851

ICMF

Post by ICMF » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:34 am

There are a few differences.

First, the 'micro' and 'nano' are ATmega328 boards, while the 'mini' is an ATmega32U4 board. The 328 boards have a different microchip and are much more difficult to use for your purpose, so you want a 32U4 board. If you search 'atmega32u4' on eBay, you'll get better results.

Secondly, the 'micro' and 'nano' have USB ports, while the 'mini' doesn't. You want a board with a USB port, so you can easily plug it into your computer; to program a board like the mini, you would need a USBASP.

And lastly, the nano board is a different size, with a different number of pins.

Thesonofromeo

Post by Thesonofromeo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:06 am

every time I try to upload the sketch I get this.
Binary sketch size: 8,454 bytes (of a 28,672 byte maximum)
Found programmer: Id = "B¶H"; type =
software Version = . ; Hardware version = .
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it
isn't
a butterfly/AVR910 but a AVR910 device

obviously I don't know what I am doing. Some one please help!!!!!

Thesonofromeo

Post by Thesonofromeo » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:28 am

jb32647 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:13 pm
jb32647 wrote:Hi Sota, nice guide. I have a problem, my Arduino doesn't show up on my computer at all. It is the same pro micro as yours, the blue one. I followed the sparkfun tutorial, but I fall over at the first step because the micro doesn't show up at all. The red power light turns on though. Do you have any advice?
Never mind, just turns out the USB cable I was using was bad.
THANK YOU BRO! I have gotten so many errors trying to do this not thinking that it could be the usb cord. I really thought that I was going to have to reinstall the boot loader.

emaborsa

Post by emaborsa » Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:06 am

How do you connect the Micro to the Pi? Do you use the usb port or do you solder the wires direct to the pcb?

Fixmylife

Post by Fixmylife » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:23 pm

Got everything working but i have been having a new issue where when i press a button it skips or goes more then once .. say im looking through the menu if i press left it will sometimes double click or even more .. they work well in the game but in emulatiomstation its really annoying trying to lool through the menu and game list is any one having this issue?
I didnt have it before .. starting to think it started happening after i put the analog sticks

goosewerks

Post by goosewerks » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 am

Fun Fact: If you accidentally bought the 3.3v/8mHz version, the button presses work with NO lag at all, but the analog sticks will NOT work. I was arguing with mine for a solid week and realized I bought the wrong version. Hupps. I'd done this exact guide before on two Arduinos and it's worked perfectly, but y'know, I bought the right hardware that time.. Double check your stuff, pls don't be a goober like me.

Another round of thanks for this guide!

Baconbomb80

Post by Baconbomb80 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 am

goosewerks wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 am
Fun Fact: If you accidentally bought the 3.3v/8mHz version, the button presses work with NO lag at all, but the analog sticks will NOT work. I was arguing with mine for a solid week and realized I bought the wrong version. Hupps. I'd done this exact guide before on two Arduinos and it's worked perfectly, but y'know, I bought the right hardware that time.. Double check your stuff, pls don't be a goober like me.

How do you know it's the wrong one? There is no marking on the board and im having issues with my analog sticks. I don't get full motion and there is a lot of jitter when not touching the stick.

salami738

Post by salami738 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:37 pm

Baconbomb80 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:36 am
goosewerks wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 am

How do you know it's the wrong one? There is no marking on the board and im having issues with my analog sticks. I don't get full motion and there is a lot of jitter when not touching the stick.
According to sparkfun (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12640, https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/Dev ... o_v13b.pdf) the connector SJ1 has to be open on 3,3V boards, and closed on 5,0V boards. BUT: The china boards have an open SJ1 and 16 MHz, so please check the chrystal instead.

Alternatively, you can check the chrystal on the board (the shiny thing on the bottom). If it has a label "16.000" you have a 16 MHz board.