[Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Bluup
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:40 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 82 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by Bluup » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:43 am

Really good work! The BL pin from the first post is actually now driven from the VCC using a resistor by the looks of it? Not connected an SPI screen yet - just noticed that the pin number differed from the post on page 1.
Looking for info on how to get started with the Pocket FE? Check out http://www.bluuplabs.com

User avatar
abrugsch
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 430 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by abrugsch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:50 am

OMG!
you found 0.8mm pitch connectors!
(oh and awesome work on the little boards! :) )

User avatar
goosewerks
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:27 am
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by goosewerks » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:16 pm

I followed this guide, and got a 2.8" screen running awesome. I tried to follow this guide for a 3.2" that I got on eBay, but the pinouts are different and I've tried a mix of different pins, but can't get anything to show up on screen. The backlight fires up when probed, but no data appears (console doesn't pop up).

I've matched up everything except a few things.

I'm guessing CLK is SCK for clock signal?
Stuck on D/C.
SpoilerShow
Image
Any ideas on this? Thanks for all the awesome work you guys have put in thus far. I've read the thread a few times for the 2.8" but I didn't remember seeing anyone else having issue or posting a pinout on the 3.2".

Here's the URL to the screen

User avatar
VeteranGamer
Posts: 1738
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:12 am
Location: London, UK
Has thanked: 528 times
Been thanked: 907 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by VeteranGamer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:47 am

goosewerks wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:16 pm
I followed this guide, and got a 2.8" screen running awesome. I tried to follow this guide for a 3.2" that I got on eBay, but the pinouts are different and I've tried a mix of different pins, but can't get anything to show up on screen. The backlight fires up when probed, but no data appears (console doesn't pop up).

I've matched up everything except a few things.

I'm guessing CLK is SCK for clock signal?
Stuck on D/C.
SpoilerShow
Image
Any ideas on this? Thanks for all the awesome work you guys have put in thus far. I've read the thread a few times for the 2.8" but I didn't remember seeing anyone else having issue or posting a pinout on the 3.2".

Here's the URL to the screen


not really sure about that/these screen.....
it does mention ili9341 drivers, but they may only be suitable for arduino projects (not 100% sure)


but i would suggest WR = D/C (still not sure if it will work, please give feedback if it does)


if i was to have a crack at that screen, i'd try this (still not 100% if it will work)

Image



the reasoning for my picks for the pin outs is based on other 40pin ili9341 bare LCD available

Image




but the screen i use are these......

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-2-inc ... 346.PMw7ec

(2) 3.2" Without Touch - Wide Viewing Angle




.

User avatar
goosewerks
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:27 am
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by goosewerks » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 am

VeteranGamer wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:47 am
not really sure about that/these screen.....
it does mention ili9341 drivers, but they may only be suitable for arduino projects (not 100% sure)
but i would suggest WR = D/C (still not sure if it will work, please give feedback if it does)
if i was to have a crack at that screen, i'd try this (still not 100% if it will work)
Image
the reasoning for my picks for the pin outs is based on other 40pin ili9341 bare LCD available
No luck, but I peed around more at the eBay listing and I think I got the same screen, but without the correct ili9341 driver. Seems like it was an option they didn't list, or I should have put in a memo. Oh well. $12 isn't a big loss. I was reading on another forum that the Data Bus is Arduino compatible, but it doesn't look like it'll be compatible with this method. And thank you for the link to the 3.2" that works.

User avatar
moosepr
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 am
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 241 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by moosepr » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm

i guess it depends what data connections that screen has. There are usually 4 main types
-SPI
-DPI
-8 bit parallel
-16 bit parallel

Some screens have just a few pins that can be set high or low to change the communication modes. others are set within the screen itself, and can not be changed. The only way to know for sure is to get the datasheet for the screen, but that is normally harder than it sounds!
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

hherrington04
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:26 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by hherrington04 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:16 pm

what size screen is it

User avatar
goosewerks
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon May 22, 2017 8:27 am
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by goosewerks » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:03 pm

moosepr wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:03 pm
i guess it depends what data connections that screen has. There are usually 4 main types
-SPI
-DPI
-8 bit parallel
-16 bit parallel

Some screens have just a few pins that can be set high or low to change the communication modes. others are set within the screen itself, and can not be changed. The only way to know for sure is to get the datasheet for the screen, but that is normally harder than it sounds!
I've been unable to find a definitive data sheet too.
hherrington04 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:16 pm
what size screen is it
3.2".

bamsegod
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:01 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by bamsegod » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:09 am

hooray!!! i think i have figured out how to run one of these red SPI screens (2.8") at 60 FPS and it is faster than this method but you can see interlacing. so a trade off between 60 fps vs interlaced display. i will do a video tomorrow as the pinout required will be different. I want to thank moosepr for this great guide without it I wouldnt have been able to figure out how to connect a SPI screen to RPI3

Lpoolm
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:17 am
Location: uk
Has thanked: 76 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by Lpoolm » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:29 am

sorry to post this in here as well as starting a thread but thought it might be best asking the expert @moosepr
do you know if overscan can be adjusted with these spi screens? i have been into the config txt and uncommented all of the # added + and - numbers and get no adjustment on the screen? any tips? thanks
Check out my modding and repair channel of retro and modern consoles:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFz7yW ... GtQ/videos

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest