[Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
User avatar
abrugsch
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 430 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by abrugsch » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:01 am

moosepr wrote: what harness are we on about? :roll:
the GBA shaped button-on-protoype-board rig.

User avatar
moosepr
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 am
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 241 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by moosepr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:07 am

abrugsch wrote:
moosepr wrote: what harness are we on about? :roll:
the GBA shaped button-on-protoype-board rig.
ah yeah, thats my 'minimal pi' project

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

User avatar
abrugsch
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 am
Has thanked: 356 times
Been thanked: 430 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by abrugsch » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:08 am

have you got a link to the bare $2 screens you mentioned in that thread?

User avatar
moosepr
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 am
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 241 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by moosepr » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:14 am

abrugsch wrote:have you got a link to the bare $2 screens you mentioned in that thread?
Sure

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 13665.html

its actually a bit missleading though, when i found them originally it was telling me how cheap they were, but it didnt say i would need to order 50+ to get the price. There may be some 2.8" ones knocking about on there somewhere, they must be $1 a piece somewhere in the depths of china, for them to be able to make the pcb with an sd card and other associated pins and components for like $3-4 (https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... 96239.html)
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

User avatar
rodocop
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm
Location: Saskatchewan
Has thanked: 596 times
Been thanked: 583 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by rodocop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 am

@moosepr

Hey there, i'm looking to buy a couple of these screens (after seeing the minty pi post i'd like to try that), have got a question. I am looking on aliexpress and have found this (see link), but it does not show ili9341 is the title, will something like that still work? What does the ili9341 actually mean, I have seen some also labelled as ili9225 and MEGA2560 I really have no idea what that even means. I have also found some very cheap ones on alibaba (as well as the ones you provided in the link), I have created an account but it seems quite complicated to actually buy from them...

Let me know if you have any advice on purchasing a couple screens. I just want to make sure I purchase something that works, and is reasonably priced.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Profess ... 98376273dc

User avatar
moosepr
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 am
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 241 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by moosepr » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:42 pm

rodocop wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:14 am
@moosepr

Hey there, i'm looking to buy a couple of these screens (after seeing the minty pi post i'd like to try that), have got a question. I am looking on aliexpress and have found this (see link), but it does not show ili9341 is the title, will something like that still work? What does the ili9341 actually mean, I have seen some also labelled as ili9225 and MEGA2560 I really have no idea what that even means. I have also found some very cheap ones on alibaba (as well as the ones you provided in the link), I have created an account but it seems quite complicated to actually buy from them...

Let me know if you have any advice on purchasing a couple screens. I just want to make sure I purchase something that works, and is reasonably priced.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Profess ... 98376273dc
That screen looks to be OK. I can't be 100% sure as it doesn't Menton any numbers, but the board looks about right.

The number actually relates to the driver chip within the screen. Different drivers have different setup procedures and different commands. If you are ever struggling to sleep, you can find the data sheet with a bit of googling
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

User avatar
rodocop
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm
Location: Saskatchewan
Has thanked: 596 times
Been thanked: 583 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by rodocop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have also messaged the seller to see if they can tell me if it is the ili9341, we'll see what they say, but i'll likely just buy it and see.

User avatar
moosepr
Posts: 523
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:18 am
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 241 times
Contact:

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by moosepr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 am

rodocop wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:53 pm
Thanks for the reply, I have also messaged the seller to see if they can tell me if it is the ili9341, we'll see what they say, but i'll likely just buy it and see.
Most of the time the sellers are not overly helpful, it may just be that English is not there first language
Get a small cheep LCD in your project https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2312
Wrap it all round a battery https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2292
Or use a custom PCB to make it really small https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2512
or make it really really really really tiny!! https://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2919

User avatar
Mischief
Posts: 225
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 7:50 am
Location: Wolverhampton, UK
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by Mischief » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:05 am

Received my screen and been having a play (http://r.ebay.com/l2Fp3J) not sure what I did wrong but I don't get any splash screen and the backlight is very dim, just wondered if the screen may be defective or I actually did something wrong.

Cheers

User avatar
rodocop
Posts: 1641
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 pm
Location: Saskatchewan
Has thanked: 596 times
Been thanked: 583 times

Re: [Guide] ili9341 SPI TFT Screen on Retropie

Post by rodocop » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:58 am

moosepr wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:44 am
rodocop wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:53 pm
Thanks for the reply, I have also messaged the seller to see if they can tell me if it is the ili9341, we'll see what they say, but i'll likely just buy it and see.
Most of the time the sellers are not overly helpful, it may just be that English is not there first language
Yeah, they weren't very helpful. I just bought it anyways and we'll see.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest