Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
fedplast
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by fedplast » Mon May 08, 2017 11:59 am

@hoolyhoo this template is a brilliant idea, thank you, u r a genius.

I actually own a sherline CNC, at work I work with a full size CNC router (8'x13'). I also have a laser glowforge pre-ordered (from the first backers), I after wasting some time with a super cheap 3d printer that never worked I just pledged on kickstarter for what seems to be a great printer:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pr ... =user_menu

it's in great britain, so @kite and other europeans should not have a problem pledging. still 6 days to go and looks like some early bird pledges cancelled, so you can get a big, open source printer for 270GBP.

fedplast
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by fedplast » Mon May 08, 2017 12:03 pm

kubino wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 am
McGyver wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:32 pm
What a good idea. I had another idea. Maybe someone owns an CNC millimg maschine: this persone could do us a milling service? Maybe I should link this to my facebook CNC group... I don't own one of these maschines...
What about Laser Burner? :


There is still room for improvement, but for 1st cut I think it's not bad.

laser cutting will not work, typical cases are ABS which will melt or burn. if you have an acrylic case it should work.

as per cutting it on a CNC: it's doable, but you need to invest the time in making a jig that will hold the case in place consistently. otherwise you will be spending too much time aligning them. so it is worth it if you plan to sell cases, not so much if you are just doing a few.
I actually cut mine on my sherline CNC, but in manual mode.

kubino
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 am
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by kubino » Mon May 08, 2017 12:51 pm

fedplast wrote:
Mon May 08, 2017 12:03 pm
kubino wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 am
McGyver wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:32 pm
What a good idea. I had another idea. Maybe someone owns an CNC millimg maschine: this persone could do us a milling service? Maybe I should link this to my facebook CNC group... I don't own one of these maschines...
What about Laser Burner? :


There is still room for improvement, but for 1st cut I think it's not bad.

laser cutting will not work, typical cases are ABS which will melt or burn. if you have an acrylic case it should work.

as per cutting it on a CNC: it's doable, but you need to invest the time in making a jig that will hold the case in place consistently. otherwise you will be spending too much time aligning them. so it is worth it if you plan to sell cases, not so much if you are just doing a few.
I actually cut mine on my sherline CNC, but in manual mode.
Actualy mine was cuted by 2.5W laser. there was needed plenty of passes, but the result is OK I think. next case I will try by CNC router.

kubino
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 am
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by kubino » Tue May 09, 2017 8:53 am

ok hope OP won't be upset for Hijacking the thread :roll: , but jig tool is done:
SpoilerShow
P_20170509_162400.jpg
P_20170509_162400.jpg (1012.47 KiB) Viewed 4263 times
Unfortunately don't have spare case for tests so I tried to clean the one I had:
SpoilerShow
P_20170509_164005.jpg
P_20170509_164005.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4263 times
P_20170509_164408.jpg
P_20170509_164408.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 4263 times
anybody have exact placements/dimensions for buttons?
Last edited by kubino on Tue May 09, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fedplast
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by fedplast » Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am

OMG @kubino , are you building a factory for GBZs?
correct me if I'm wrong, is this a (mostly) 3d printed cyclone PCB factory?
well done, my friend. well done.

as per the position of the buttons, it varies by PCB manufacturer, I don't believe there is a standard. and I might be wrong, but I believe that the popular cards here on site (helder, kite etc.) are not open source. but you seem to be comfortable with calipers, so...

kubino
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 am
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by kubino » Tue May 09, 2017 11:52 am

correct it's PCB factory with some of my mods, e.g. direct drive leadscrew motors for x/y. I build this some time ago, but haven't much time to play with ...

What factory you means? just a few CNCs (laser burner, few 3d printers, CyclonePCB, H-300 CNC ;-))

I have already some measuring/drawing done, however better apporach is to wait for AIO board.

User avatar
HoolyHoo
Posts: 720
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 716 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by HoolyHoo » Tue May 09, 2017 12:20 pm

fedplast wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am
OMG @kubino , are you building a factory for GBZs?
correct me if I'm wrong, is this a (mostly) 3d printed cyclone PCB factory?
well done, my friend. well done.

as per the position of the buttons, it varies by PCB manufacturer, I don't believe there is a standard. and I might be wrong, but I believe that the popular cards here on site (helder, kite etc.) are not open source. but you seem to be comfortable with calipers, so...
I think the button hole placement is public knowledge. In fact Kite, in his guide, discusses the exact measurement in relation to the A and B buttons. In there he also has a 1 to 1 image of his board that if printed at 100% is an exact duplicate. Helders hole placement are the same. ;)

kubino
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 am
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by kubino » Tue May 09, 2017 1:50 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 12:20 pm
I think the button hole placement is public knowledge. In fact Kite, in his guide, discusses the exact measurement in relation to the A and B buttons. In there he also has a 1 to 1 image of his board that if printed at 100% is an exact duplicate. Helders hole placement are the same. ;)
thank you for pointing this. I remember I read that somewhere ;-)

fedplast
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by fedplast » Tue May 09, 2017 3:48 pm

HoolyHoo wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 12:20 pm
fedplast wrote:
Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am
OMG @kubino , are you building a factory for GBZs?
correct me if I'm wrong, is this a (mostly) 3d printed cyclone PCB factory?
well done, my friend. well done.

as per the position of the buttons, it varies by PCB manufacturer, I don't believe there is a standard. and I might be wrong, but I believe that the popular cards here on site (helder, kite etc.) are not open source. but you seem to be comfortable with calipers, so...
I think the button hole placement is public knowledge. In fact Kite, in his guide, discusses the exact measurement in relation to the A and B buttons. In there he also has a 1 to 1 image of his board that if printed at 100% is an exact duplicate. Helders hole placement are the same. ;)
sorry I was wrong: I just checked, I can confirm tho that Kite's IO, Helder aio2.2, Helder's PCB V1.3, as well as kitsch-bent control panel rev.1 all match. (keep in mind that Kite has 2 ways to drill the buttons). I seemed to recall that some cards had different button placement. maybe it was just an old version of of 1 of them.

of course in the guide it tells you where to drill the holes, it is 16mm between all holes, and holes are 11mm. but I assumed they don't give you the .gc file or .dxf file or whatever. and I'm not sure of the holes are a perfect square from eachother, or if they are more of a diamond set-up, if you understand what I mean.


but I might be wrong again!! :mrgreen:

kubino
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 am
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Fastest, Cleanest GB Screen Cutout (5 seconds)

Post by kubino » Wed May 10, 2017 3:11 am

ok X/Y routing completed :
SpoilerShow
P_20170510_110653_mod.jpg
P_20170510_110653_mod.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 3804 times

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest