How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
prerunnerseth

How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by prerunnerseth » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 pm

My projects and products are now at https://www.prs-tech.com

Guide updated with some protection for the HDMI port on the TV. Please reread carefully if you are getting your board in

This is a guild on how to build the SNES-Zero Project using the PRS-Tech SNES Zero Board.

This project was built using an original SNES Controller. The board was designed to also fit in a Tomee Knock off controller, but has not yet been built with one. The build should be very similar to an original SNES Controller build.'

Time to Build: 1-2 Hours.

What you will need to build it.

1. PRS-Tech SNES-Zero Board viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2659
2. Original SNES controller or Tomee Knock off SNES Controller. Got mine from Ebay.
3. 40 Pin Surface mount 0.1pitch pin header. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/1824561
4. Pi Zero
5. Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CD ... UTF8&psc=1
alternative cable (tested by me): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4 ... =UTF8&th=1
6. HDMI USB Power Adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LQ ... UTF8&psc=1
7. BAT42 Diode https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3104368
8. Micro SD Card

Optional
1. Micro HDMI Connector https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/2785382
2. 47uF 1206 Capacitor https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3889253

How to build it.

Step 1.

Remove the plastic bits that must be removed to make room for the PRS-Tech Board and Pi Zero.

The bits that need to be removed are shown in the red boxes. Second picture of the bits removed for reference. some trial and error may be needed to get it just right. I also had to open up the hole for the cable just a little bit.

With the bits removed.

(OPTIONAL) Cut out a notch for the Micro USB Port.

Step 2.

Trim the legs of the pin header so that they are flush with the surface of the pi zero when the header is inserted into the GPIO.

Top is trimmed, bottom is untrimmed.

Step 3.

Solder the pin header to the PRS-TECH SNES-Zero board. Start with just a couple pins. then hold the Pi zero with the cable attached to it into the inside of your controller to make sure everything lines up right before you solder down all the pins.

Here is where you would solder on the micro USB Connector if you plan to use it. I did not use it as the Pi Zero W i was using has wifi built in allowing me so SSH in and do all the configuration after i got it connected to my network. You may also solder on the 47uf cap now. This cap is not necessary in most cases and may only be needed for certain USB devices.

Step 4.

Place the pi zero face down onto the pins and connect the HDMI cable. Place the whole thing into the controller. Solder a couple of the pins down with the whole thing in the case to make sure the pi zero sits at the correct angle to allow your HDMI to be in the right place.

Step 5.

Solder a jumper wire from PP20 to Pin 2 of the Pi Zero GPIO Header. This will carry 5V from the HDMI Connector to the rest of the Pi Zero.

Step 6.

Desolder the L and R Boards from the original controller main board.

Step 7.

Solder the L and R boards to the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero Board

Step 8. (Optinonal if using USB Port)

Solder jumper wires labeled PP22 and PP23 on the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero board to the corresponding test pads on the Pi Zero.

Step 9.

Carefully pry open the case on the HDMI to USB power adapter and solder the diode as seen in the image. Then Reassemble the adapter. This adapter will provide 5V to your Pi Zero using the the HDMI 5V wire. the Normal HDMI spec is only 50mA. That is why this adapter is needed to provide more current for the Pi Zero. I found that most modern smart TVs expect this 5V to come from the Source device. In this case the power supply is supplying the power to the source device and not the TV. The diode is needed to also put 5V out to the TV side to make it work with modern smart TVs. Once modified, Do not use this adapter with any thing else.
0417170713.jpg
0417170713.jpg (3.74 MiB) Viewed 53311 times
Step 10.

Download and write the most current retropie image to your Micro SD Card.

https://retropie.org.uk/download/

Step 11.

Follow my Guide for Setting up Retrogame to use the GPIO for button Inputs.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57

Step 12.

Place a piece of electrical tape or something else over the hole in the back of the case made from removing the screw mount.

Step13.

Put your SNES Controller back together and enjoy your new toy!

Last edited by prerunnerseth on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 7 times in total.

drafterITA

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by drafterITA » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:31 am

Hi there :)
A question: the USB part of the HDMI to USB power adapter is not needed, right? I guess it can be cut off so that the adapter is smaller.

I ordered all the parts already, wohoo!

Edit.. I just realized that the USB part is what is giving power to the hdmi.. So.. Forget about it.. It needs to be connected to a USB port.. It's morning, I'm still sleeping :roll:
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:57 am

drafterITA wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:31 am
Hi there :)
A question: the USB part of the HDMI to USB power adapter is not needed, right? I guess it can be cut off so that the adapter is smaller.

I ordered all the parts already, wohoo!

Edit.. I just realized that the USB part is what is giving power to the hdmi.. So.. Forget about it.. It needs to be connected to a USB port.. It's morning, I'm still sleeping :roll:
Were you able to source the parts from the links i provided? If not ... would you mind supplying Europe friendly links for my friends over there?

THanks

PRS

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:35 am

prerunnerseth wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:57 am
Were you able to source the parts from the links i provided? If not ... would you mind supplying Europe friendly links for my friends over there?

THanks

PRS
I can share them, no problem! You can add them on your post if you want

Used Original Snes Controller: eBay or Amazon (I got mine on Amazon)
Raspberry Pi Zero W at Pimoroni
40 Pin Surface mount 0.1 pitch pin header
HDMI USB Power Adapter
Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable

I didn't buy the optional parts for the external micro USB port because I got a pi zero w.

Hope it helps! (and the parts are all correct :) )

Edit: changed the Micro HDMI to HDMI cable
warning: I can't say if it fits yet, when I get the parts and I'll assemble them we'll see
Last edited by drafterITA on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
drafterITA

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 am

drafterITA wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:35 am
prerunnerseth wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:57 am

THanks

PRS
I can share them, no problem! You can add them on your post if you want

Used Original Snes Controller: eBay or Amazon (I got mine on Amazon)
Raspberry Pi Zero W at Pimoroni
40 Pin Surface mount 0.1 pitch pin header
HDMI USB Power Adapter
Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable

I didn't buy the optional parts for the external micro USB port because I got a pi zero w.

Hope it helps! (and the parts are all correct :) )
I wouldnt use that amazon basics cable. I have 2 of them. the actual cable is much thicker and not as flexible. It also has a much bulkier connector shroud that wont fit completely inside the case.

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:52 am

prerunnerseth wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:37 am
I wouldnt use that amazon basics cable. I have 2 of them. the actual cable is much thicker and not as flexible. It also has a much bulkier connector shroud that wont fit completely inside the case.
Oh.. That's a bummer.. The exact same brand you used is not available here for me on Amazon, so I changed my order and tried this one. Maybe with a bit of hacking it can fit better:
https://www.amazon.it/gp/aw/d/B00A30FM ... hdmi&psc=1
drafterITA

Luigi64128

Post by Luigi64128 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 pm

I'm a big noob at all of this stuff; do you ever think you'll make a full video guide? I'm very interested in making this.

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 am

Luigi64128 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:33 pm
I'm a big noob at all of this stuff; do you ever think you'll make a full video guide? I'm very interested in making this.
I'll be sending a board to Wermy and he is going to make a video.

Villemus

Post by Villemus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:07 am

Can the optional USB be used for player 2 or does the GPIO mapping of the buttons prevent that?

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm

Villemus wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:07 am
Can the optional USB be used for player 2 or does the GPIO mapping of the buttons prevent that?
Yes the optional USB should be able to be used for player 2.