How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
rafters

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by rafters » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:38 am

RhinoNigel wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 pm
Ahhh good eye.
The best I could tell was that OPs voltage inserted isolates the TV-end HDMI power pin and only sends power back toward the Pi. According to OP this causes issues with some smart TVs so he adds the diode as a jumped to add power to the TV-end pin too. The diode prevents power going back toward the USB end but I can't imagine a scenario where this would happen.

The cheaper voltage inserter I linked above doesn't isolate the TV-end power pin (so power is sent both ways down the HDMI cable) and therefore doesn't need to be modified (unless there is some reason for the diode over a jumper that I'm not aware of - in which case the explanation from those above is inadequate due to the way the pad works, you'd need to detach the red wire and put the diode between the wire and the pad).

evil_BaD_one

Post by evil_BaD_one » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:57 pm

@prerunnerseth or anybody,
I'm about to start the project and looking at the PRS-Tech board. Are pins 1 and 3 supposed to be connected? It looked bridged so I tested it with my continuity tester and it beeped at me. Want to make sure before I solder on the pins.

Anybody? It's a simple yes or no question. Not sure why these would need to be bridged.

Thanks,
Last edited by evil_BaD_one on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

mazzic

Post by mazzic » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Alright, I got the hardware together and RetroPie boots fine. Now I wanted to follow the tutorial "GPIO for buttons," but I get an error message after "make retrogame". Anyone else had this or knows how to solve it? This is frustrating, I was waiting for new parts to arrive for weeks and now I still can't finish it. :?

Code: Select all

pi@retropie:~/Adafruit-Retrogame $ make retrogame
cc     retrogame.c   -o retrogame
/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.9/../../../arm-linux-gnueabihf/crt1.o: In function `_start':
/build/glibc-P1SmLh/glibc-2.19/csu/../ports/sysdeps/arm/start.S:119: undefined reference to `main'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
<builtin>: recipe for target 'retrogame' failed
make: *** [retrogame] Error 1

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 pm

mazzic wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 pm
Alright, I got the hardware together and RetroPie boots fine. Now I wanted to follow the tutorial "GPIO for buttons," but I get an error message after "make retrogame". Anyone else had this or knows how to solve it? This is frustrating, I was waiting for new parts to arrive for weeks and now I still can't finish it. :?

/usr/lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.9/../../../arm-linux-gnueabihf/crt1.o: In function `_start':
/build/glibc-P1SmLh/glibc-2.19/csu/../ports/sysdeps/arm/start.S:119: undefined reference to `main'

are you connected to the internet.....

mazzic

Post by mazzic » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 pm

VeteranGamer wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:10 pm
are you connected to the internet.....
Yes, I am. I already set up Retropie using a USB keyboard and tested some games with a USB gamepad before putting the SNES Zero together.

mazzic

Post by mazzic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:08 am

Alright, nevermind. I solved it by starting with a fresh install of RetroPie. Somehow my configuration seems to have been the cause. Too bad for the nice overlays I got working...
However, the buttons don't really seem to work. The only buttons that actually had an effect were "Start" and "Up". Either I screwed up the soldering, or the cheap knock-off controller doesn't quite fit. I'll try again with my old original SNES controller and put in the finished hardware there. Hopefully, it's worth it. :roll:

EDIT:
I just reassembled everything in an original controller and started with a fresh install of Retropie. It still doesn't work, though. I can run all the steps in the "GPIO for buttons" tutorial, but in the end, the buttons don't seem to work. I don't know what's wrong and I don't know how to code, so I guess that's it. I've wasted days of working on the project and a lot of money on buying stuff from overseas, all for nothing. :(

fraggle

Post by fraggle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm

prerunnerseth wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 pm
Step 9.

Carefully pry open the case on the HDMI to USB power adapter and solder a jumper wire as seen in the image. Then Reassemble the adapter. This adapter will provide 5V to your Pi Zero using the the HDMI 5V wire. the Normal HDMI spec is only 50mA. That is why this adapter is needed to provide more current for the Pi Zero. I found that most modern smart TVs expect this 5V to come from the Source device. In this case the power supply is supplying the power to the source device and not the TV. The diode is needed to also put 5V out to the TV side to make it work with modern smart TVs. Once modified, Do not use this adapter with any thing else.

0417170713.jpg
Just looking at this step - I can't see a jumper wire in the adapter in the picture - only a diode. Could you explain what jumper is required or post an image (unless I am missing something). Thanks!

prerunnerseth

Post by prerunnerseth » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:02 pm

fraggle wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:00 pm
prerunnerseth wrote:
Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 pm
Step 9.

Carefully pry open the case on the HDMI to USB power adapter and solder a jumper wire as seen in the image. Then Reassemble the adapter. This adapter will provide 5V to your Pi Zero using the the HDMI 5V wire. the Normal HDMI spec is only 50mA. That is why this adapter is needed to provide more current for the Pi Zero. I found that most modern smart TVs expect this 5V to come from the Source device. In this case the power supply is supplying the power to the source device and not the TV. The diode is needed to also put 5V out to the TV side to make it work with modern smart TVs. Once modified, Do not use this adapter with any thing else.

0417170713.jpg
Just looking at this step - I can't see a jumper wire in the adapter in the picture - only a diode. Could you explain what jumper is required or post an image (unless I am missing something). Thanks!
Sorry.. its just a diode... originally it was a jumper.. ill fix the tutorial.

rustynail03

Post by rustynail03 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 am

First of all, thanks for the cool tutorial on how to build the SNES-Zero controller. I have completed my build, but have run into an issue, I'm assuming it is a resistance issue with the 10ft HDMI cable I'm using (http://amzn.to/2gY2Wik). The system reboots to the rainbow screen every minute or so from Retropie's home screen. Once you start playing a game, the system will not reboot. I hooked up a smaller HDMI cable and the system ran fine with no reboots. Should I try to find a shorter HDMI cable, 8 ft maybe? Or, is there a fix to this problem? Any advise would be appreciated! Thanks!

garthster

Post by garthster » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:46 pm

I had exactly the same problem. The issue turned out to be I was not logged in as "Root". In order to make these changes you must be logged on as "root".

Regards, Garth
mazzic wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 pm