How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Kory

Re: How To - Build the PRS-Tech SNES-Zero

Post by Kory » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:33 am

I am having issues where the raspberry pi is powered by the HDMI for varying lengths of time before randomly rebooting. Does anyone have a solution for this?

YaYa

Post by YaYa » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 am

Kory wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:33 am
I am having issues where the raspberry pi is powered by the HDMI for varying lengths of time before randomly rebooting. Does anyone have a solution for this?
You may suffer lack of power... try with directly powering via micro usb from a wall plug. If the problem disappear, then the problem is either your HDMI cable or the TV.
The test with another TV that can deliver power trough HDMI, if it works, the problem is the other TV not giving enough power.
Follow me on instagram Image

Kory

Post by Kory » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:36 am

YaYa wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:03 am
Kory wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:33 am
You may suffer lack of power... try with directly powering via micro usb from a wall plug. If the problem disappear, then the problem is either your HDMI cable or the TV.
The test with another TV that can deliver power trough HDMI, if it works, the problem is the other TV not giving enough power.
So I tested the parts and it does appear to be my HDMI cable. To fix this do I just get a shorter cable?

Brownie

Post by Brownie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:15 pm

rafters wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:38 am
RhinoNigel wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:18 pm
Ahhh good eye.
The best I could tell was that OPs voltage inserted isolates the TV-end HDMI power pin and only sends power back toward the Pi. According to OP this causes issues with some smart TVs so he adds the diode as a jumped to add power to the TV-end pin too. The diode prevents power going back toward the USB end but I can't imagine a scenario where this would happen.

The cheaper voltage inserter I linked above doesn't isolate the TV-end power pin (so power is sent both ways down the HDMI cable) and therefore doesn't need to be modified (unless there is some reason for the diode over a jumper that I'm not aware of - in which case the explanation from those above is inadequate due to the way the pad works, you'd need to detach the red wire and put the diode between the wire and the pad).
What I gather from this conversation is that is the HDMI USB Power adapter referenced here does not need any modification and no diode is required. Does that sound right?

Delta

Post by Delta » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:25 pm

Hey, i recently got into building all these retro game consoles and I'm fairly new at it and I'm struggling with the coding part. Any help or if you could explain it a little more would be greatly appreciated.

deeleyer

Post by deeleyer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:27 pm

Hi there.
About the BAT42, is it possible to use a BAT43 instead?
I have some spares from another project, and BAT43&42 datasheets are very similar except VF Max (1V vs 400mV)

SpazTaztic

Post by SpazTaztic » Thu May 23, 2019 2:07 pm

I have purchased and tried to use Fordigi cables (the alternative cable link) as they were the only ones available when I ordered. My unit gets stuck in the boot loop when using these cables though and I have not been able to get around it and use these cables. I used a cheap no-name hdmi mini to full adapter and a cheap no-name cable I picked up from amazon for less than $3 shipped to the house, and the unit works fine... am I missing something for the smaller cables?

Goggledone

Post by Goggledone » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Greetings all. Ive built the unit following the tutorial and now have arrived at the part where i need to boot it up to program the controls for it to work. im not sure what all i will need for this and i dont want to have any issues when i boot it up and end up having to redo something
so any advice on what i would likely need to have on hand or plugged into the pi would be super helpful. Thanks

Grippie

Post by Grippie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:40 pm

I have all the parts on order for this. I don't like the 10ft cable so I was hoping to use one of these instead.

Mini HDMI to HDMI Connector
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Mi ... 4FQ3NF5PXH

That way i'll have a short adapter coming out of the controller that i can hook up any lenght of HDMI cable. Will this cause an issue with the power input to the pi?

nexus23k

Post by nexus23k » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:49 am

Grippie wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:40 pm
I have all the parts on order for this. I don't like the 10ft cable so I was hoping to use one of these instead.

Mini HDMI to HDMI Connector
https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Mi ... 4FQ3NF5PXH

That way i'll have a short adapter coming out of the controller that i can hook up any lenght of HDMI cable. Will this cause an issue with the power input to the pi?
Have no issue with adapter & 3m cabel.