[GUIDE] Inches' Purchase Guide to Soldering Kits

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
abrugsch

Re: [GUIDE] Inches' Purchase Guide to Soldering Kits

Post by abrugsch » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:31 am

the smd components probably do have labels... post pics of your SMD parts and we'll identify them for you :)
(next to a ruler so we can tell you the sizes... e.g. 0805, 1206 etc)

resistors look like this: Image
and the value is read by the first 2 (or 3 if it's a 4 digit value) numbers with the final number being a number of 0's to append...
so 104 is a 100000 ohm resistor and 472 is 4700 or 4K7ohm etc.
when the parts are so small they don't have a value printed, then it's down to what's printed on the reel. once they are separated from the packaging it's impossible to know without a meter.

these are all capacitors, each type has a different way of reading the value (some don't have values printed on them) Image

neolith

Post by neolith » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:15 am

abrugsch wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:31 am
[...] post pics of your SMD parts and we'll identify them for you :)
(next to a ruler so we can tell you the sizes... e.g. 0805, 1206 etc)
Thanks for the offer – that would be a big help! :)
The quality of the pictures unfortunately isn't the best. I had to use my phone to take them as I lent out my camera. Also the ruler on the rubber pad is pretty off, the metal ruler is accurate (mm).

Board:
01 & 02 – front and back of the boardShow
I don't think the back is actually connected to the circuits on the front.

Components:
03 (17x)Show
04 (16x)Show
05 (14x)Show
06 (14x)Show
07 (2x)Show
08 (6x)Show
09 (14x)Show
10 (3x)Show
11 (16x)Show
12 (16x)Show
13 (4x)Show
14 (12x)Show
15 (4x)Show
16Show
These are the only ones I can guess where to put as they don't fit anywhere else.

None of the reels is labeled.

I am starting to think that all the unlabeled components are actually only there for practice. The rows on the board on the left and right don't seem to be connected to the circuit in the middle... :?

Thanks for the pictures and the explanations. I am only starting to learn about electronics and this is a big help. That topic came up back in school only very briefly, I didn't get it right away and put no effort in to understand it any better – and that was 25 years ago. So now I have to learn from scratch. :lol:

A little off-topic: What are Zero-Ohm-Resistors good for? If there is no resistance, doesn't that make it just a pretty good conductor? :?
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 am

I'll start with your last question first...
Zero ohm resistors are for optional component positions and so pick and place machines can still place something, since a wire is pretty hard for a pick and place machine to work with.

backside components definitely seem to be practice only. put whatever fits.
front side are connected to the T pads so you can test with a meter that your soldering is actually good and you haven't made any shorts ;)

So the Resistors can be easily identified, and the sizes should be easy to work out since the sizes are labeled at the top of the column (1206, 0805, 0603, 0402)
groups 9, 10 and 11 are capacitors of different sizes so should go in their respective C1-C12 (0805) and C13-C24(0603) spots.

group 12 are your 0402 resistors. they don't have a marking on them as they are just too small. they'll go in your only 0402 spots on the right side of the top

resistors and (these) capacitors are not directional so any way round will be fine

Group 13 are diodes and the black line marking is closer to one end of the diode.
[___|_]
D12-D15 have this [>|] silkscreen image.
in both cases above + is on the left and - is on the right. line up your diode like that so the end the black line is closest to is the end the arrow points to.

14 and 15 are LED's and unfortunately there's no set standard for marking of the direction on the package. I've has two different colours from the same manufacturer in THE SAME RANGE have opposite markings. so without the datasheet, you'll need to get your multimeter out, put it into continuity mode and see which way makes it light up.

D1-D11 appear to be group 14 and D16-D19 are group 15

the thick line on the silkscreen box would appear to be the -ve end but someone else might need to confirm that as i'm not familiar with that convention

With U1 and U2, make sure the dot on the corner of the package is at the same end ans the notch on the silkscreen image

neolith

Post by neolith » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Thank you so much for the explanations! I really appreciate you taking the time looking over the pictures and writing everything down for me! :)
Now the weekend cannot come fast enough so that I can practice soldering again. :lol:
abrugsch wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 am
I'll start with your last question first...
Zero ohm resistors are for optional component positions and so pick and place machines can still place something, since a wire is pretty hard for a pick and place machine to work with.
Ah, I see. I've got to admit, I never thought about that.
– "The biggest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." –

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Also it's good to use as a jumper, so say you have too many traces and you need to get to the other side of the board you can use one of those resistors to carry over the trace.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.