[Guide] Wire your LCD Display to the Pi Zero

Various user-contributed guides for hardware-related things
Fleder

Re: [Guide] Wire your LCD Display to the Pi Zero

Post by Fleder » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:09 am

BigOlTexasBoy wrote:Right, I saw the OP. I've seen people leave this configuration. So do you recommend powering the display from the power strip when I put it all together.

I only ask because I've read recommendations to not power things from the Pi and recommendations to keep the ground close to the video out. Just want to find out the best way to do it before I get started.
Fleder wrote:You will want to get the power from the power strip, in your final build.

BigOlTexasBoy

Post by BigOlTexasBoy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:02 pm

Missed that part. Thanks

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:33 am

Fleder wrote:
BigOlTexasBoy wrote:What is the benefit of running the power from the Pi vs the power strip?
This is, as I clearly wrote in the OP, only for testing the screen.
You will want to get the power from the power strip, in your final build.
But before you wire everything together, it is easier and faster to test your display with this method.
This wiring is not meant to be used in the final build!
Hmm so in the final build, the red and black wires both need to be soldered onto the power strip?

By moving the ground further away from the composite port, wouldn't that start introducing interference?

larsen2011

Post by larsen2011 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:16 am

Hello community,

Question to those who are using the 640x480 screen: while the boot logo and the games are in good resolution, I have issues reading the menus in Retropie, specially when it comes to game selection. Anybody had the same issue and found a solution to it?

Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:43 pm

larsen2011 wrote:Hello community,

Question to those who are using the 640x480 screen: while the boot logo and the games are in good resolution, I have issues reading the menus in Retropie, specially when it comes to game selection. Anybody had the same issue and found a solution to it?

Any recommendation is highly appreciated.
Configure the resolution of your retropie/emulation station and you should be good.

onesojourner

Post by onesojourner » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm

Treguard wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:33 am
Fleder wrote:
BigOlTexasBoy wrote:What is the benefit of running the power from the Pi vs the power strip?
This is, as I clearly wrote in the OP, only for testing the screen.
But before you wire everything together, it is easier and faster to test your display with this method.
Hmm so in the final build, the red and black wires both need to be soldered onto the power strip?

By moving the ground further away from the composite port, wouldn't that start introducing interference?
So does this mean your 5v should be be wired to the powerstrip and leave the ground on the pi next to the TV pad?

dryja123

Post by dryja123 » Fri May 19, 2017 8:20 pm

onesojourner wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 pm
Treguard wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:33 am
Fleder wrote: This is, as I clearly wrote in the OP, only for testing the screen.

So does this mean your 5v should be be wired to the powerstrip and leave the ground on the pi next to the TV pad?
I second this question. I currently have the ground cable run to my power strip and have some noise. According to Camble's logic, I should relocate the ground wire to my Pi.

It certainly won't hurt the Pi so I'll give it a shot. Will post back after to see if it resolved my noise issue.

Mikethesith200

Post by Mikethesith200 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 pm

How would i power the display if I'm using a micro lipo from Adafruit?

cfiedler

Post by cfiedler » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:11 pm

This has been a helpful guide, but I do have one question. I'm wondering if you could provide an example LCD screen that this method would work with. For instance, this display (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1680) which uses a ribbon connector?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:32 am

cfiedler wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:11 pm
This has been a helpful guide, but I do have one question. I'm wondering if you could provide an example LCD screen that this method would work with. For instance, this display (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1680) which uses a ribbon connector?
Hi there, glad I could be of help.
The display you mentioned is a TTL display, which would need software to make it run.
This is no plug&play display. There are a lot of tutorials on such displays, I recall.
You could stop by in the discord channel and ask for a nudge in the right direction of a guide,
but I, unfortunately, have no experience with TTL displays.

You can always use one of those to go with this guide:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Wireless-TFT ... Swc2FaJj77
The question is, can this be run on 5v, which is a trial and error thing. Also, those usually only have 320x240 or 640x480 if you are lucky.

There is this one on aliexpress, thoug:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-inch- ... 78988.html
Mind the driver board, depending on your space available.