Problems with 3.5" TFT LCD display, possible power supply issues?

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
HotbrownDoubleDouble

Problems with 3.5" TFT LCD display, possible power supply issues?

Post by HotbrownDoubleDouble » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:58 am

Hey guys, I want to preface this with I do not know hardware. in fact, this side project is the first time I've ever had to solder something. Anyways, I'm having trouble with my display. I have it wired up following the directions from this post:http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=953

Essentially, I have no picture coming up. I have the controls wired up directly to the RaspPi and the HDMI display worked fine while I was testing the controls, obviously. I'm thinking I'm having power supply problems. The screen is rated for 12V, so I don't think the 5V power supply is quite cutting it. Is there anyone here who can tell me what I can do to mod the display controller board so the display can use 5V? Maybe it's the fact that I'm not soldering the wires to the display controller board? Is running the wires from the connector piece known to cause issues? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
IMAG0598.jpg
IMAG0598.jpg (941.34 KiB) Viewed 6806 times
IMAG0599.jpg
IMAG0599.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 6806 times
IMAG0601.jpg
IMAG0601.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 6806 times

ABH

Re: Problems with 3.5" TFT LCD display, possible power supply issues?

Post by ABH » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:49 am

HotbrownDoubleDouble wrote:Hey guys, I want to preface this with I do not know hardware. in fact, this side project is the first time I've ever had to solder something. Anyways, I'm having trouble with my display. I have it wired up following the directions from this post:http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=953

Essentially, I have no picture coming up. I have the controls wired up directly to the RaspPi and the HDMI display worked fine while I was testing the controls, obviously. I'm thinking I'm having power supply problems. The screen is rated for 12V, so I don't think the 5V power supply is quite cutting it. Is there anyone here who can tell me what I can do to mod the display controller board so the display can use 5V? Maybe it's the fact that I'm not soldering the wires to the display controller board? Is running the wires from the connector piece known to cause issues? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Umm
First time see this board idon't know if it's working with 5v or 12v , But
Always Black wire mean " Ground " and Red wire mean " Power "
White and Yellow mean " Av1 , Av2 "
I think that you have a wiring problem
Try this method, it should work
Raspberry-Pi-Zero-07.gif
Raspberry-Pi-Zero-07.gif (577.26 KiB) Viewed 6802 times

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:37 pm

Check out SidSilver's project. That looks like the screen he is using, and the one I am using. Look over the pictures of his controller board and yours to verify it's the same one. You will basically need to solder a wire to pin 3 of the chip. I tried running my screen like this off of 5v and it would not power on at all. If you compare your board to the pictures on his project page, you will hopefully be able to figure out which chip and which pin to work with.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=453

Good luck! :)

HotbrownDoubleDouble

Post by HotbrownDoubleDouble » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:02 am

Nucklez wrote:Check out SidSilver's project. That looks like the screen he is using, and the one I am using. Look over the pictures of his controller board and yours to verify it's the same one. You will basically need to solder a wire to pin 3 of the chip. I tried running my screen like this off of 5v and it would not power on at all. If you compare your board to the pictures on his project page, you will hopefully be able to figure out which chip and which pin to work with.

http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=453

Good luck! :)
Thanks man, that was the mod I was looking for. I also needed to wire up the white wire to the RaspPi, not the yellow.

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:51 am

Another mod possible, to which i've switched is this one :
Solder pin 2 & 3 together, no wire anymore.

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:10 pm

I'll have to look into that one. Also, I like the closeup picture. I can actually read the model number of the chip. :)