I think I broke my Pi 2

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
Cyborg_delta1

I think I broke my Pi 2

Post by Cyborg_delta1 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:09 am

Hello All, I think I have an issue with my Pi 2 to make more room in the gameboy case I have removed the USB and network ports and then cut off the excess PCB that I no longer need like others have done in the forum, but now when I turn on the Pi the Power light starts flashing and when I have booted into raspbian I get the yellow lightning bolt on the top right of the screen indicating that there is not enough power can some one tell me what I have done wrong and if it can be fixed?

Camble

Re: I think I broke my Pi 2

Post by Camble » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:59 am

There seems to be a few raggedy pieces of solder there, which could be causing a short. Try cleaning up any excess solder with solderwick and flux, then try booting again.

Cyborg_delta1

Post by Cyborg_delta1 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:48 pm

Thanks for the reply Camble I cleared up the solder but was still getting the same issue. When I tested the test pads with a multimeter some how ground and 5V where connected but I could not see any point of contact how ever on closer inspection I have seem to have nicked C97 and according to this post from the raspberry Pi forum C97 On the B+ and 2B C97 is across the USB 5v supply to ground and as soon as I removed it the problem was solved.

The only down side to removing this is that any USB device that draws a high current could have issues but luckily I am using helders AIO boards so USB power on the Pi is not being used :P

JoshL

Post by JoshL » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:08 pm

I also have a Pi 2 and have desoldered the USB and Ethernet ports. How did you remove the camera and display ports? Do they simply desolder too?

Cyborg_delta1

Post by Cyborg_delta1 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:02 am

JoshL wrote:I also have a Pi 2 and have desoldered the USB and Ethernet ports. How did you remove the camera and display ports? Do they simply desolder too?
Lets just say they where a B***ch to remove you can desolder them but I was having a hard time so in the end I used some tools to lift the black plastic housing from the board to revival just the pins which made it easier to pull them off (as you can see from the damaged pads) but as I am not going to use the display and camera port who carers :D

JoshL

Post by JoshL » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:40 pm

Cyborg_delta1 wrote:
JoshL wrote:I also have a Pi 2 and have desoldered the USB and Ethernet ports. How did you remove the camera and display ports? Do they simply desolder too?
Lets just say they where a B***ch to remove you can desolder them but I was having a hard time so in the end I used some tools to lift the black plastic housing from the board to revival just the pins which made it easier to pull them off (as you can see from the damaged pads) but as I am not going to use the display and camera port who carers :D
I think I will do the same as you. I removed the USB and Ethernet ports by hacking them up with some cutters until I had only small pins left.