[CONFIRMED] RASPBERRY PI ZERO W (WIFI)

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
abrugsch

Re: [rumour mill] RASPBERRY PI ZERO W (WIFI)

Post by abrugsch » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:33 am

n.marek wrote:edit: I am so sick of the fact that you can only order 1... It really sucks if you have to pay for international postage for just a single item... I hoped they would have better stock by now... Unlike the RPi 0
my colleague was able to buy 2 from the pi hut. I didn't bother to try...

BenOfTheNorth

Post by BenOfTheNorth » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:54 am

Just ordered from the pi hut - I've ordered several pi zero's from there in the past, they've always honoured the orders.

So happy about this new version, no more wifi adapter! Woo!

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:00 am

I ordered 2 for my gbz projects on pi3g, a German website..
Finally I'm starting to collect the parts :)
I need to figure out what I want to do, use the aio from kite when I the preorder for the next batch goes live, or try and acquire the board from Helder and all the other pieces.. Any advice is welcome :)
Cheers!
drafterITA
Cheers! :D
drafterITA

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:28 am

drafterITA wrote:I need to figure out what I want to do, use the aio from kite when I the preorder for the next batch goes live, or try and acquire the board from Helder and all the other pieces.. Any advice is welcome :)
well there is no wrong answer. it's just a case of how long you can wait, how "tidy" you want your build and how involved in the build process you want to be. one is more work but you get more satisfaction out of building it yourself. kite's board while great, ultimately means all you're doing is attaching a Pi to a board and doing a bit of case modding to fit the rest of the parts.

I'm personally going down my own tricky path, which will involve making my own custom board(s) in the vein of "We do not do these things because they are easy, we do them because they are hard..."

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:50 am

abrugsch wrote:
drafterITA wrote:I need to figure out what I want to do, use the aio from kite when I the preorder for the next batch goes live, or try and acquire the board from Helder and all the other pieces.. Any advice is welcome :)
well there is no wrong answer. it's just a case of how long you can wait, how "tidy" you want your build and how involved in the build process you want to be. one is more work but you get more satisfaction out of building it yourself. kite's board while great, ultimately means all you're doing is attaching a Pi to a board and doing a bit of case modding to fit the rest of the parts.

I'm personally going down my own tricky path, which will involve making my own custom board(s) in the vein of "We do not do these things because they are easy, we do them because they are hard..."
thank you abrugsch!
I personally prefer getting all the separate parts because of the satisfaction you mentioned above :) My only concern is that I have basically zero experience with DIY and soldering.. so I'll have to do a lot of practice while I "wait" for the components I'm slowly starting to boy :)
I also prefer this solution because having a cartridge with the microsd card embedded to insert in the gbz is badass :)
Cheers!
drafterITA
drafterITA

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:03 am

definitely practice soldering.

get some cheap arduino mini/micros from ebay (a couple of £/$/€ each) and they usually come needing their header pins soldering on. PERFECT practice material!

if you can find another electronics PCB kit then they are good also. ones we use at the hackerspace for teaching soldering is called an arduino cuttlefish. it has about 20 through hole components, plus a DIP socket for the ATMega328 along with header pins for the IO's.
by the time you've soldered one of those up, your competence ramps up significantly

drafterITA

Post by drafterITA » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:26 am

abrugsch wrote:definitely practice soldering.

get some cheap arduino mini/micros from ebay (a couple of £/$/€ each) and they usually come needing their header pins soldering on. PERFECT practice material!

if you can find another electronics PCB kit then they are good also. ones we use at the hackerspace for teaching soldering is called an arduino cuttlefish. it has about 20 through hole components, plus a DIP socket for the ATMega328 along with header pins for the IO's.
by the time you've soldered one of those up, your competence ramps up significantly
Great Advice :)
drafterITA

abrugsch

Post by abrugsch » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:32 am

drafterITA wrote:Great Advice :)
there's more in my soldering guide (in my sig)

dadi4168

Re: [CONFIRMED] RASPBERRY PI ZERO W (WIFI)

Post by dadi4168 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:48 am

Bought one. Had to go to a UK store, the US stores I tried were sold out.

Jwad410

Re: [CONFIRMED] RASPBERRY PI ZERO W (WIFI)

Post by Jwad410 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Purchased me a Zero W!!! When will they just make a million of these things and let us buy say 10 at a time. 10 dollar shipping on a 1 dollar item, Crappy and thats assuming it's local shipping :/