Pi Zero Burned

Raspberry Pi hardware discussion (including peripherals)
Tamasco

Pi Zero Burned

Post by Tamasco » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:58 am

Hi guys.

The past Monday I received my first Pi0. Today, I think I have burned :?
In my intention of displaying the composite video, I have soldered two pines to the TV and ground GPIO, just as the show here:
http://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-to-add- ... ry-pi-zero

What I did not know before plugging in everything, is that you mustn´t connect more than 3.3v to the GPIO.

This was the set up, following this steps:

1- Connect the gpio pines to the display.
2- Connect the 12v that the display needs for test if it shows the installed Retropie on the SD Card (at this point I think it has been when I have burned the Pi0).
3- Connect the power suply of the Pi0 (5v).

I assume that my mistake was the same as this one:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 28&t=66319

Could maybe have also been a breakdown voltage for not putting tape to the cables? :o
You guys think it has been as I have said?
How do you connect the displays to the Pi0? I may have missed some indications?

Anyway, I have just ordered another Pi0, as you learn from your own mistakes, right?

wermy
Site Admin

Re: Pi Zero Burned

Post by wermy » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:23 pm

sorry about your Pi. :\

I'm confused though, you powered the screen through a separate power supply? You mention pulling power from the GPIO pins but I don't see anything connected to them.
ImageImageImageImage

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:31 pm

wermy wrote:sorry about your Pi. :\

I'm confused though, you powered the screen through a separate power supply? You mention pulling power from the GPIO pins but I don't see anything connected to them.
Maybe it´s me the one who is confused with the terms, and I´m saying nonesense.

Yes, I connected the screen with a separate power supply, because it´s supposed to work with 12v. As I haven´t been able to get image in the display, I haven´t being able to know if this one, works with 5v without problems, and therefore connect it to the 5v GPIO from the rasp.

This is my screen (ignore the red circle)

What I wanted to say with the GPIO, is that I think that, somehow the 12v from the screen´s power supply have burned the Pi throught the TV and ground GPIO. That´s makes any sense? I thought that it should have take out the TV signal to the screen, and not give electricity to the Pi0!

I have to check again the tutorial part 3 (which I just realised it´s yours ;) )

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:49 pm

I just realised about some difference between my screen, and your adafruit one. Mine, it has 4 cables caming from the screen board:

red - 5v
black - ground
yellow - av1
white -av2

And ground it later splits in the small box of the cable. Am I right?

However, yours have a ground for each av1/2 (white and blue) and the black for power supply. Correct?

I should connect the ones I have in the picture above, like you? Red and black to the Pi0 power supply (to check if it works with 5v) and yellow and black to the TV and ground GPIO? I understand my black it´s your white.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:57 pm

The wires on this picture are wrong.
The white wire is connected to the Video In, that would be okay, but the yellow, second Video output is connected to the GND.
The Black wire should go there, where the yellow one is.

See here: https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/assets/a ... 1448515431
Square = Video
Round = GND

Red is connected to the Pis Power Input, that is not a good idea.
Red should be connected to the first pin (top, left) on the previous picture i posted.

You have to try out if the yellow or white wire is sending a video signal.

Edit: Look here. I quickly painted on the pins and wire colours to solder on. Do not solder on white and yellow at the same time!

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:41 am

Fleder wrote:The wires on this picture are wrong.
The white wire is connected to the Video In, that would be okay, but the yellow, second Video output is connected to the GND.

Square = Video
Round = GND

Red should be connected to the first pin (top, left) on the previous picture i posted.

Edit: Look here. I quickly painted on the pins and wire colours to solder on. Do not solder on white and yellow at the same time!
Let me see if I have understand.
You need to conect both yellow (video signal) and white (ground) to the same TV GPIO pin (square)? Why is this? I thought that the white wire would need to go to the ground GPIO as in the video shows. Is it wrong @Fleder @wermy ?

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:55 am

Tamasco wrote:Let me see if I have understand.
You need to conect both yellow (video signal) and white (ground) to the same TV GPIO pin (square)? Why is this? I thought that the white wire would need to go to the ground GPIO as in the video shows. Is it wrong @Fleder @wermy ?
No, you did not understand that :D

Is this still correct for your wires?
red - 5v
black - ground
yellow - av1
white -av2
If so, you have to wire those to the pins i coloured on my picture for you.
But DO NOT wire White AND Yellow. Only one, if this does not work, you need to try the other one.

Just go with my pictured guide and do not attach yellow and white at the same time.
Try the one, if this does not work, try the other.

SidSilver

Post by SidSilver » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:56 am

Tamasco wrote:
Fleder wrote:The wires on this picture are wrong.

Square = Video
Round = GND

Let me see if I have understand.
No need for white, just yellow for video, red and black for power and ground.

Fleder

Post by Fleder » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:00 am

SidSilver wrote:No need for white, just yellow for video, red and black for power and ground.
He has got no button board, so if the screen does not automatically change to the active video source, he will have no video signal.
Some screens do not start with AV1, so he might want to keep that in mind.

Tamasco

Post by Tamasco » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:09 am

Fleder wrote:
Tamasco wrote:Let me see if I have understand.
No, you did not understand that :D

Is this still correct for your wires?
red - 5v
black - ground
yellow - av1
white -av2
If so, you have to wire those to the pins i coloured on my picture for you.
But DO NOT wire White AND Yellow. Only one, if this does not work, you need to try the other one.

Just go with my pictured guide and do not attach yellow and white at the same time.
Try the one, if this does not work, try the other.
Ok, now I think I understand. You mean the wires from mi screen board, which yellow would be AV1 and white AV2 (or that´s what I think). However, with this setup, I do not need to attach another ground wire somewhere? Just with one, would work?
Fleder wrote:
SidSilver wrote:No need for white, just yellow for video, red and black for power and ground.
He has got no button board, so if the screen does not automatically change to the active video source, he will have no video signal.
Some screens do not start with AV1, so he might want to keep that in mind.
I do have, in the right of my screen board picture, right? I have three buttons.