Wiring an ILI9341 SPI TFT to an arduino

Arduino-related hardware discussion (including Teensy and other Arduino clones)
Sushi

Wiring an ILI9341 SPI TFT to an arduino

Post by Sushi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Hey guys,

I'm developing a board to connect an arduino to an ILI9341 touch screen. To make things simple, I'm using the same 18 pin screens Helder uses. I've encountered one problem, though. As I'm testing on a breadboard, I don't know what to do with the SDA/SDO lines. I know I'm supposed to connect those to MOSI/MISO on the arduino. However, nothing appears on the screen.

Any advice on how I should properly wire this up? I'm getting a level shifter tomorrow to replace the resistors I'm using for the arduino's 5V logic, so that may help, but I still don't understand whether SDO is to MISO or MOSI.

tinkerBOY

Re: Wiring an ILI9341 SPI TFT to an arduino

Post by tinkerBOY » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:25 am

New! tinkerBOY PowerSwitch v1.0 with Safe Shutdown
Game Boy Zero Controllers available @ tinkerBOY.xyz * Support
tinkerBOY Controller v3.0 - built-in usb controller, usb audio, and usb hub
tinkerBOY Controller v2.0 - GPIO buttons and builtin PWM Audio and Amplifier
tinkerBOY Controller v1.1 - simple pcb button
* DPI Adapter - better display for GBZ
* keyboard converters - IBM XT/AT Soarer's Converter | ADB to USB Converter

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:47 am

Sushi wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:46 pm

Any advice on how I should properly wire this up? I'm getting a level shifter tomorrow to replace the resistors I'm using for the arduino's 5V logic, so that may help, but I still don't understand whether SDO is to MISO or MOSI.

this may be of some help.....

http://educ8s.tv/arduino-2-8-ili9341-tutorial/

(just replicate the pinouts on your bare ili9341 LCD)

NB: this may also be useful for those who want to take part in the Community Competition/Challenge (ESP32)....

Last edited by VeteranGamer on Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sushi

Post by Sushi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:43 am

I should mention that I'm not using a driver board on the LCD. I have the pure LCD panel and I've soldered some wires directly to the pins on the ribbon connector. Because I can't find datasheets for these displays, I've just been going off of the pinouts provided by the sellers' pages. However, I can't figure out what to do with SDA/SDO.

VeteranGamer

Post by VeteranGamer » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:09 am

Sushi wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:43 am
I should mention that I'm not using a driver board on the LCD. I have the pure LCD panel and I've soldered some wires directly to the pins on the ribbon connector. Because I can't find datasheets for these displays, I've just been going off of the pinouts provided by the sellers' pages. However, I can't figure out what to do with SDA/SDO.

i figured from the link you provided you were using a bare LCD
(i did also mention it in my previous post, which has the wiring diagrams for the two different arduino boards )

the pin outs for these screens are pretty much the same across the different sizes

it might have not been a bad idea to use moosepr board for testing purposes (just to be on the safe side)

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/zUNmnlLF

Sushi

Post by Sushi » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:40 am

Awesome, thanks! I just ordered some of those boards (should make testing much easier).

treyjazz

Post by treyjazz » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:49 pm

I bought 3 of these screens (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291507 ... 4c4dt1M8aH) and I'm trying to get some signs of life out of them. They are bare modules so I soldered wires to the flex cable. Everything is fine with continuity and I have checked the wiring on the Arduino side of things as well as trying different boards. I have shined a flashlight through the back in case it was just the backlight not working but nothing shows. Is that 18 pin pin out right?

Edit: I finally got it working right, but only on an RPi. They just seem to refuse to work on Arduino (tried UNO, Mega, NANO, Pro Micro, ESP8266).