14500 Batteries in Parallel

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
gijoe4500

14500 Batteries in Parallel

Post by gijoe4500 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:44 am

I have been looking at finding ways to make my GBZ build look as factory as possible and through some research came across 14500 Li-ion batteries. It seems like there is a lot of discussion across the interwebs on whether or not it is safe to run these in parallel. From what I can tell, it seems like they are okay to use, as long as they are all in the same state of charge. I.E., not a fully charge one put in parallel with a fully drained one.

If I were to buy two "sets" of 4 14500s, and just made sure to keep them as sets, would that be an issue? Maybe color code them so i don't get them confused. That way, I can swap out batteries if I drain them too much and keep playing without having to charge. This way, I could also charge them through the GBZ using a powerboost 1000c, or charge them with an external charger that commonly comes with 14500 batteries.

This is just kind of a brain storm post, i suppose. And maybe if someone reads this and realizes that i'm being completely stupid, one of you can slap me in the back of the head for overlooking something. lol