How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with Arduino IDE

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
PotaTox

Re: How to Program Helder's All in One GBZ PCB with Arduino IDE

Post by PotaTox » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:24 pm

@Helder Apparently you can use an arduino as an ISP, any chance I can do this instead of buying the programmer?

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:32 pm

PotaTox wrote:@Helder Will this USBasp programmer work?

I'm having a hard time, because it always gets out of bootloader mode before it finished uploading. It happens in less than 8 seconds for me.
It should work, if it says USBasp in the title it's all good. I ordered my first one as some generic AVR programmer and it didn't work with AVRDude or many known programming apps so I ended up reprogramming it as a USBasp.
PotaTox wrote:@Helder Apparently you can use an arduino as an ISP, any chance I can do this instead of buying the programmer?
Indeed you can as I did that for programming that Generic AVR Programmer and it will save you headache.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Helder wrote:
PotaTox wrote:@Helder Apparently you can use an arduino as an ISP, any chance I can do this instead of buying the programmer?
Indeed you can as I did that for programming that Generic AVR Programmer and it will save you headache.
So I can burn a bootloader (you said something about putting a different bootloader on the newer boards, so maybe I could use that?), but how do I actually program the ATMega32u4 with Gameboy.ino? I found a guide, but will it work?

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:30 pm

Wait, at the bottom of the Sparkfun guide it talks about uploading code the hard way, and also says you can upload code that way. Tomorrow I will test this, as well as burn on a whole new bootloader just to make sure I didn't screw up the original one. However, @Helder , can you follow up on what you said about putting on a new bootloader onto the new chips? I would really like to just burn on that new bootloader.

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:51 am

PotaTox wrote:Wait, at the bottom of the Sparkfun guide it talks about uploading code the hard way, and also says you can upload code that way. Tomorrow I will test this, as well as burn on a whole new bootloader just to make sure I didn't screw up the original one. However, @Helder , can you follow up on what you said about putting on a new bootloader onto the new chips? I would really like to just burn on that new bootloader.
Tomorrow afternoon I'll have some info for you.

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

SwingeyP

Post by SwingeyP » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:58 am

Hello again,

My USB programmer arrived today. I have loaded the no analog gameboy sketch and uploaded using programmer option.

It compiled and seems to have transferred ok. I'm not sure what if anything I have to do about the boot loader?

I connected back to the pi
D+ (green) to PP22
D- (white) to PP23

I have an exteral PSU (4 amp) which I have connected to the USB from pi zero +5v and ground and also the pi zero itself PP1 and PP6.

I have clean install of retropie but still can not recognise any controller connected :-(

Maybe this is something to do with bootloader?
IMG_3439.JPG
IMG_3439.JPG (562.99 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
IMG_3438.JPG
IMG_3438.JPG (504.33 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
IMG_3437.JPG
IMG_3437.JPG (509.67 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
IMG_3436.JPG
IMG_3436.JPG (501.43 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
IMG_3435.JPG
IMG_3435.JPG (579.49 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
IMG_3434.JPG
IMG_3434.JPG (556.19 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
IMG_3433.JPG
IMG_3433.JPG (472.48 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
IMG_3432.JPG
IMG_3432.JPG (481.76 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
IMG_3431.JPG
IMG_3431.JPG (652.12 KiB) Viewed 10921 times
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[color=#8000BF][b][size=85]https://www. ... b][/color][/size][/size]

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:27 am

I'll post a mini guide later and plug the 5v and GND in the same Boxed area that says USB from Pi Zero that has filtering for the power and you want the power as clean as possible, the hubs get filtered 5v from that location.

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:11 am

Helder wrote:
PotaTox wrote:Wait, at the bottom of the Sparkfun guide it talks about uploading code the hard way, and also says you can upload code that way. Tomorrow I will test this, as well as burn on a whole new bootloader just to make sure I didn't screw up the original one. However, @Helder , can you follow up on what you said about putting on a new bootloader onto the new chips? I would really like to just burn on that new bootloader.
Tomorrow afternoon I'll have some info for you.
You can also apparently do this Image

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Post by Helder » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:58 pm

@PotaTox @SwingeyP

Here is the Guide with USBasp:
http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1228

PotaTox

Post by PotaTox » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:37 pm

I'm sorry @Helder about the constant barrage of posts about this, but I think I found what I will do: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic ... #msg475663. Does that look okay? I just really don't want to spend more money and have to wait. Also, one more question: I once supplied 5v and ground through the ISP pins when I was first using the all in one, did I fry anything with that?