Issue with screen

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Mazzy

Issue with screen

Post by Mazzy » Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am

Hello everyone,

I've almost finished my build but for some reason the screen is not working anymore, when you look from a normal angle it seems to be just a white screen
SpoilerShow
But when you angle it a bit there is an image just all white over it.
SpoilerShow
SpoilerShow
i have tried to reduce the brightness and contrast to 0 but no change. Screen variant is 8, the one where both yellow and white need to be connected, the 5v change already done. the screen was working fine when i first got it but since then i desoldered it from the pi to fit it in the case and resoldered it, have checked the ribbon cable as well and it seems to be fine but i may be worng.
Any help or opinions are appreciated.
Thank you

TheDeviantZen

Re: Issue with screen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Sat May 20, 2017 5:25 am

Mazzy wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am
Screen variant is 8, the one where both yellow and white need to be connected, ...
I have a variant 8 too and i dont need the both wires connected, i have just the yellow one connected and works just fine.

Seems to me that you have some sort of problem with the flat cable of your screen. Try to move the flat cable and see if it does any difference.

Mazzy

Post by Mazzy » Sat May 20, 2017 2:02 pm

TheDeviantZen wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 5:25 am
Mazzy wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 am
Screen variant is 8, the one where both yellow and white need to be connected, ...
I have a variant 8 too and i dont need the both wires connected, i have just the yellow one connected and works just fine.
After your post i tried just the yellow and you're right it does work with just one, i just had the white connected correctly and the yellow connected wrong so i was on av2 instead of av1. I've connected just the yellow and on av1 am getting exactly the same issue.
TheDeviantZen wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 5:25 am
Seems to me that you have some sort of problem with the flat cable of your screen. Try to move the flat cable and see if it does any difference.
Have tried pushing it in to make sure it's connected right, even took it out and reconnected it to be 100% it's pushed all the way, can't see any cuts or damage to it and can't figure out what's wrong with it.
In addition to what i managed to take pictures of when it gets to the emulation station logo it flickers then stays black and some slightly blacker lines fluctuate on screen hard to describe and even harder to photo since it's black on slightly lighter black.

TheDeviantZen

Post by TheDeviantZen » Sat May 20, 2017 2:26 pm

Try the other side, the one that goes to the screen.. I had the same problem and it was the flat cable in the zone that come right of the screen. But do that before turn the screen on, because if you push the cable with the screen on you will not see any difference