Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Discussion about other hardware (including other Pi-like boards)
Post Reply
User avatar
joe7dust
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by joe7dust » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:16 am

http://www.buydisplay.com/default/color ... serial-spi

It looks similar to the ribbon connector that some of the adafruit screens use, but I'm not sure.

adafruit clone

I'm also interested if anyone has tried a screen like this 2nd link as well.

User avatar
wermy
Site Admin
Posts: 1346
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 619 times
Been thanked: 1319 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by wermy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 pm

joe7dust wrote:http://www.buydisplay.com/default/color ... serial-spi

It looks similar to the ribbon connector that some of the adafruit screens use, but I'm not sure.

adafruit clone

I'm also interested if anyone has tried a screen like this 2nd link as well.
The first one looks to be just the screen with no controller board, so you'd either need a compatible board, or you'll need to figure out if you can drive the board directly like @kite is doing here: http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... t=20#p4354

As for the GPIO one, I'm really not a fan of those to be honest. They can be a pain to get working right and the refresh rate is usually pretty poor.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
joe7dust
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by joe7dust » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:54 pm

wermy wrote:
joe7dust wrote:http://www.buydisplay.com/default/color ... serial-spi

It looks similar to the ribbon connector that some of the adafruit screens use, but I'm not sure.

adafruit clone

I'm also interested if anyone has tried a screen like this 2nd link as well.
The first one looks to be just the screen with no controller board, so you'd either need a compatible board, or you'll need to figure out if you can drive the board directly like @kite is doing here: http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... t=20#p4354

As for the GPIO one, I'm really not a fan of those to be honest. They can be a pain to get working right and the refresh rate is usually pretty poor.
Thank you, I put an ad in the trade subforum looking for a controller board, and I'm going to research it some more. Link in my sig.

User avatar
Fleder
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:04 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by Fleder » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:09 am

joe7dust wrote:Thank you, I put an ad in the trade subforum looking for a controller board, and I'm going to research it some more. Link in my sig.
You might have a different idea of what the trade forum is about.
It is not a place to make people look for compatible hardware you need.
You have to do the research yourself most of the time.
I highly doubt someone has got a controller board for your screen lying around that he does not need.

You have to read the datasheets and look for boards that are compatible.
I do not want to bully you, but you should really try to get into this and learn about those things.
It is a lot more fun if you know what you are doing.

User avatar
joe7dust
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by joe7dust » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:29 am

This thread isn't asking for someone with a spare compatible controller. You might be thinking of my wanted ad.

So, has anyone tried using an SPI display with a Pi?

User avatar
joe7dust
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by joe7dust » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:00 am

I'm surprised no one here has any experience with serial (spi) displays...

User avatar
kite
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:30 am
Location: UK
Has thanked: 238 times
Been thanked: 317 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by kite » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:15 am

joe7dust wrote:I'm surprised no one here has any experience with serial (spi) displays...
They're really not recommended as they have terrible redraw and frame rate, you'd be better off with composite as at least it would be smooth rather than horrible. There are loads of examples from Adafruit, this forum won't have anyone using so if you do really want to use that display then go to Adafruit and read their tutorials

User avatar
joe7dust
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by joe7dust » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:20 am

kite wrote:
joe7dust wrote:I'm surprised no one here has any experience with serial (spi) displays...
They're really not recommended as they have terrible redraw and frame rate, you'd be better off with composite as at least it would be smooth rather than horrible. There are loads of examples from Adafruit, this forum won't have anyone using so if you do really want to use that display then go to Adafruit and read their tutorials
I'm surprised they even market gpio displays if the performance is that bad. So there's no converter to get a composite signal from a screen like this? I know they make that sort of then for going from digital to analog for the more standard connection types like hdmi to vga, or dvi to rca. Would probably require extra power though, iirc all them have to be in a little box and take a power input....

I've got this screen laying around I could use for testing: http://www.sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 7016#p7016

User avatar
Fleder
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:04 am
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 257 times

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by Fleder » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:10 am

joe7dust wrote:I'm surprised they even market gpio displays if the performance is that bad.
Those are meant for using and controlling the OS, not for games.
Why are they even selling Toyotas if they are not as fast as a Porsche?

User avatar
joe7dust
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:13 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: Anyone tried this kind of display? (Serial SPI) or this adafruit clone?

Post by joe7dust » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:14 am

Okay that makes sense. It would be useful with games even if it's possible to output gpio tft and composite video at the same time. Maybe I'll just use the touchscreen like a track pad and have some stats displayed on it like cpu usage and battery percentage.

I bet you know the answer to this simple wiring question. Http://sudomod.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=659

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest