Soldering Iron

Discuss tool-related stuff including soldering irons/technique, multimeters, etc.
theking

Re: Soldering Iron

Post by theking » Sun May 15, 2016 11:27 am

My friend have the same station just the "original" one. The difference its only when you lay down the stick.
Produce in the same company.. It works exacly the same.. Even if its "fake" it does the job perfect :)

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Sun May 15, 2016 6:46 pm

Interesting. Sorry for being curious, but do the tips slide on snugly on the iron? It seems good for what it is. :D

theking

Post by theking » Mon May 16, 2016 7:35 am

crispy_tofu wrote:Interesting. Sorry for being curious, but do the tips slide on snugly on the iron? It seems good for what it is. :D
Yes the tips slide very smugly. I also ordered some extra iron tips different sizes : http://www.banggood.com/T12-Series-Sold ... 32701.html

crispy_tofu

Post by crispy_tofu » Tue May 17, 2016 12:16 am

Okay, thank you for the help. :D

401Gaming

Soldering iron question

Post by 401Gaming » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:44 am

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this buy I'm building a gameboy zero so... I need a recommendation on a new soldering iron. Currently in using a 30w iron from harbor freight and it's awful. It has a hard time melting solder and it seems the tip never actually gets hot enough. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a decent one so I was hoping someone on here could recommend a moderately priced reliable iron that will get the job done

Helder
Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Re: Soldering iron question

Post by Helder » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:59 am

I have 2 stations but for cheap and reliable and works well one of them I use is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SMD-DC-Powe ... 2036118546

Plus you get a bunch of different tips too.
Chat with me and other members On Discord

Don't contact me about obtaining my board files (as you will not get them). If my Boards or PCB Kits are sold out, they will be restocked as soon as I can get them and there is demand for them. You can join the mailing list on my Website to be notified when they are available.

Helder's Game Tech Website

We will not support any cloned work so don't come to us with technical issues to resolve, go talk to the cloner for help.

Kilren

Re: Soldering iron question

Post by Kilren » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:45 am

401Gaming wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right section for this buy I'm building a gameboy zero so... I need a recommendation on a new soldering iron. Currently in using a 30w iron from harbor freight and it's awful. It has a hard time melting solder and it seems the tip never actually gets hot enough. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a decent one so I was hoping someone on here could recommend a moderately priced reliable iron that will get the job done
Merged your post into a previous post.

This also will have all the information you'll possibly need for irons. Helder's suggestion is an excellent one.

joe7dust

Post by joe7dust » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:24 am

Don't forget that electric is not the only option. I'm very happy with my 3in1 butane powered soldering iron and it was only $20.

Oxodao

Post by Oxodao » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:05 am

I scored on a flea market a Weller WTCP-S and it is damn awesome for 10€ so I am really glad.
Don't go cheap on the one that has not even a station but just an iron. They will give you nothing but troubles.
Arduino sketch for the gamepad (Teensy replacement): http://github.com/oxodao/GBZGamepad

Kilren

Post by Kilren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:54 am

Oxodao wrote: Don't go cheap on the one that has not even a station but just an iron. They will give you nothing but troubles.
Lucky score! If you ever find another like that, buy it and pm me! I'll pay for your troubles and shipping :D

With that said, I have one of those radioshack 20watt solder iron with no station, no controllable temp, etc. I don't have trouble with it, but I do know how to solder pretty well. It's all in experience and practice. With that said, anyone is limited by their own knowledge but can make small improvements by upping the quality of their tools (just don't blame the tool for being lousy at a task :P)